Lounger
    Heidelberg, Deutschland, Baden-W, Germany
    Thanks

Download and Quicktime (IE 5.01 SP2)

This problem has been mentioned before in this section but no solution was found: When I am trying to download a file from some sites, instead of the normal download procedure, I get a blank screen with a Quicktime logo which eventually turns into a "broken" Quicktime symbol. This seems to happen exclusively with exe files. I did not update Quicktime. I think it started when I installed SP2.

TIA
    Bettina

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: Download and Quicktime (IE 5.01 SP2)

Does it always happen with exe files, whatever the site?

I have QT 3.0.2 on W2K / IE5.5 but it may be the same or give you some clues:

There should be a Quicktime icon in your control panel.
    Double click it and you get a 'QuickTime Settings' window.
    Select 'File Type Associations' from the drop down box.
    I only have the centre option (Macintosh type files) selected (but grey as if not every type)

Try de-selecting 'Internet file types' if it is selected.

Otherwise, I would try upgrading to IE5.5 - others may recomend going straight to IE6.

(A workround might be to right_mouse and select 'Save Target As...' )

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Leif!
    This happens with all exe.files on sites that like to send you through a few extra pages before download instead of providing a direct link to the exe file. Right-clicking and using "Save as" is fine, but sometimes this option is not available.

Unfortunately I have already deselected *all* the file type associations in the Quicktime settings in an attempt to fix this problem, but it didn't help. I don't really fancy upgrading - I had IE 5.5 once before and it caused some other problems, so I went back to 5.01. Maybe I'll have to live with this problem. Luckily, most files one really wants are available on different sites and one them is likely to have a straighforward "right-clicklable" link.

Regards
    Bettina

Thanks

I've just been battling with the same thing. Today I removed Quick Time from the PC and upgraded to IE6 and that seems to have helped. Though I haven't tried all the downloads I was having troouble with I have now been able to download an upgrade to Zone Alarm. (That was one where right clicking the link wasn't working as a work-around.)

Ian

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I was having same annoying problem with the broken Quick Time logo when trying to download .exe files. As noted, right click is not always an option. What I tried was: (1) Uninstall Quick Time. (2) Download and install IE 6.0 (had been using IE 5.01). (3) Install most recent version of Quick Time (5.0). During installation installed Quick Time plug-ins for both IE and Netscape. Loaded IE 6.0. Tried download an .exe, still broke, only this time instead of the broken QT logo you got a blank page with a generic broken-image icon. Checked Control Panel QT settings and deselected Windows and Internet file type associations. Did not work. Finally, this DID work: Opened Windows Registry and navigated to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerPlugins. Saved a backup of the key (always a good idea). Under the "Extension" subkey 3 file types were listed: .exe, .jpeg, .spop. Deleted the ".exe" subkey. (This key referenced QT Plug-in vers 4.1.2 and the corresponding .DLL file located in the IEPlugins folder.) Loaded IE and checked several download sites that had trouble with, now work OK. The standard IE download dialog popped up and I was able to download files. Did not see any way to accomplish this in the IE user interface. Deleting the registry key did not impair QT functionality for viewing video clips, etc in any way.

Another option, of course, is to use another browser to download files. Before fixing problem, I tried Opera for some downloads (this was after installing QT 5.0). Not surprisingly, in Opera some sort of Quick Time download plug-in thing pops up & downloads the files with no complications. (I prefer the standard IE download. QT should stick to the media clips, etc.)

NOTE: You should not have to upgrade to IE 6.0 to fix problem. For the record I've had no problems with IE 6.0. Not much seems different other than the IE icon. I'm using WIN 98 SE.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark
    There's a danger in assuming that because you can't see much difference, IE6 is no better than IE5. However, I would not recommend using the latest and greatest with old OSs such as Win 98SE. (Not that SE doesn't have its uses : it still plays DVDs better than either of my other OSs)
    IE6 has plugged security holes that IE5 leaves open, unless you happen to have downloaded all the security fixes (including the latest JVM).
    It is properly integrated with XP, though I find it works just as well with 2kP. The handling of configurable security is much improved, extending to the way your system deals with cookies, and the production of Privacy Reports.
    You can also get (my website) the IE Buttons Pack (written by correspondents to the Lounge) which enables you to, along with several other interesting things )add/remove websites to the Trusted and Restricted Zones at the click of an icon. (In all fairness, this works with IE5.5 as well).
    128-bit encryption is installed by default (there are sites you can't view without this) and though MS dropped the idea of built-in Smart Tags, you can add them afterwards.
    IE6 is a big improvement over 5.01, though less so over 5.5. Nevertheless, if it won't do as it's told on your system, you should revert to the Old Faithful.

Click My Sig

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx for the info. You're right about the new Privacy settings and other options in IE 6, they look like definite improvements, I haven't really had a chance to look at the new stuff yet in detail. I did have most of the IE 5.01 updates installed, including 128-bit encryption, but not sure if had all of them. I guess I was mainly alluding to the horror stories many users relate in reference to upgrading to a new version of IE (whatever version). I've been using IE since 3.2 & have never experienced any such horrors when upgrading. Maybe have been lucky? As for my archaic WIN 98 OS, I'd like to check out XP except I'm extremely leery of socalled Product Activation, plus at work we're still "standardized" on WIN 98, with the only upgrade in sight being WIN 2K. Since I work with VBA programming, Access, etc I need to keep home & work machines on same wavelength. (Obviously, I'm not an expert in IE....) Anyway the "Quick Time" bug was bugging me for a long time & wanted to let anyone interested know of possible fix.

I'll have to check out your website, I'm always interested in new downloads (preferably w/o the assistance of any flaky media player plugins.....)

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Mark, that was the solution I was looking for! Deleting the subkey (after backing up the registry, of course!) worked like a charm.
    Thanks again and kind regards

Bettina