Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Diagnosing the RoadRunner's beeps

System is a dual boot Win 98/Win 2000 system with Win 98 on the C drive and Win 2000 on the F drive.

BIOS is Phoenix BIOS 4.0, Release 6.0 on a Micron Millennia Pentium II 400.

Here's what happened yesterday.

1. I ran LiveUpdate in Norton Auntie Virus. NAV stated that I had to reboot.

2. Upon rebooting, I got SCSI Inquiry errors, resulting in the OS not being found.

3. After a few attempts, I was able to reboot, i.e., the SCSI inquiry error went away. I did notice that the system indicated that it had changed "System Configuration Data", I know not what. And Win 2000 recovered some file.

4. Then I rebooted using a Win 98 startup disk and ran a full sacandisk on all drives.

5. Only error noted was a filename on C drive that Scandisk indicated had to be fixed in Windows.

6. Rebooted as Win 2000. I had already told Win 2000 to do a scandisk for the C drive next time it booted.

7. Scandisk did not indicate any error.

8. Bye this time, I started noticing that I was get more than the usual 1 beep during startup.

I appear to be getting 1 long, 2 short, a pause, then another short. What do these beeps indicate?

9. Are there diagnostics I can run?

I could not find any knowledge base at Micron's support site.

Note that the system is more than 3 years old, but the memory and CPU are still under warranty.

Micron indicated that I had to use paid tech support just to determine whether it is really a memory/CPU problem.

Not a very nice way to do business.

ileacy

Re: Diagnosing the RoadRunner's beeps

You can get the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.phoenix.com/pcuser/phoenixbios/biosfaq.html#Q12>Phoenix Bios Post/Beep Codes</A> from the PDF link on this page.

You seem to be getting the 1-2 code for test 98h (see documentation), Option ROM checksum error.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

THanx.

I found that last night.

The puzzle is why the computer can successfully boot despite the beeps.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Preliminary evidence indicates that thec SCSI tape drive has died (or the connections are loose).

I'll call SEagate before proceding further.

Aint PCs fun!!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I'm beginning to believe that the problem was caused by the update to NAV's Live Advisor installed on 3 Dec.

After many attempts to reboot, I was able to reboot without the tape drive. However, on one occasion, tho, the tape drive was not found in the SCSI scan, Win 2000 added the tape drive on its own.

I then upgraded the tape drive's firmware.

THen when I rebooted, I got an error from NAV stating that SymEvent could not start AutoProtect during startup.

So, I again ran LiveUpdate and downloaded the 4 Dec virus definitions.

Now I seem to be able to reboot wit hno problem, other than the beeps.

It is my gut feeling that the update of LiveAdviser on 3 Dec caused some configuration data to change and that is causing the beeps. But Win 2000 seems to be able to reboot anyway.

Now, I need to find out how to verify the system configuration data.