New Lounger
    Thanks

Password Protected Documents (2000)

DOes anyone know how to unprotect a word document if you don't know the password.
    Thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Password Protected Documents (2000)

The simple answer is yes. "Someone" knows how to unprotect the document. Even if it's just the person who created the password.

What sort of protection are you talking about? Opening, or protecting for forms? And what do you want to do?
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The person who input the password has left and so no one knows the password and we can't even read the document. It is simply a word document which has been password protected. When we open it, we get a message "Enter the password to open the file". If you click ok without entering a password you get the following message "The password is incorrect. Word cannot open the file" and if you press cancel nothing happens. Hope this helps you to help me.

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

MS improved the password protection scheme after Word 6 (Word 6 was a piece of cake to crack). Now the only way I know is with a "brute-force" cracker - AccessData has one that works very well but it costs. There are some shareware versions for small dollars - check the hacker boards. (Brute-force means throwing text strings at the program using a data dictionary - this can take a long time).

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you just want the text form the document, in the File Open dialog box, specify "Recover text from any file". But make sure you switch it back to "Word documents" again. Or try opening from Wordpad, or from a rival word processing file which has filters. Or maybe your email program has a facility for reading Word files without checking the protection. As last resort, open it in Notepad, and try to strip out non-text.

If any of these work, it will only give you text in the documents, and not the formatting etc. You'd have to use a password cracker for one of these.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks

Hi,
    As someone else has mentioned, there are password crackers out there. Office 2000 file-open passwords are (or can be) extremely difficult and time-consuming to crack unlike workbook or document modify protection ones, unless the password is a common word, in which case most password crackers have the option of a dictionary attack which is considerably faster than trying every possible combination of letters (and numbers, symbols, upper and lower case etc.!).
    Your best bet might be to try guessing, based on everything you know about the person who left!
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I tried the "Recover Text from any file" and received garbage for a document. I was able to read my name and the version of Word, but I would be unable to "salvage" anything meaningful.

SJMiller