Thanks

Microsoft Map: from Excel 2000 and earlier

There was a program or add-in called Microsoft Map (or something close to that) that came with early versions of Excel. Among other things, it let you make simple maps from lists of ZIP codes. You could put dots corresponding to ZIP codes on outline maps of the U.S. or of individual sections. You could put the maps into your workbooks, much as you do with charts.

Microsoft Map worked fine with newer versions of Excel, and I've used it for many years to make maps like the one HERE.

Today I tried to update a map. When I opened the workbook that held it, its red dots had changed to red pound signs. When I double clicked the map, I got the Excel message "Cannot start the source application for this object."

It seems like Microsoft Map has disappeared, or been disabled by some sort of Excel update, or whatever. I don't know how to get it back. Who can help?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what version of Excel you're using now, but it seems to have transitioned from Microsoft Map to Microsoft MapPoint:

In Microsoft Excel 2002 and later, you can display maps created by using Microsoft Map in an earlier version of Excel, but you cannot modify the maps or create new ones.

About using mapping programs in Excel 2002 and later

Bruce

Thanks
    Sorry -- I'm using Excel 2003. MapPoint doesn't do what I need, which is to make a simple outline map with dots at the ZIP codes in a table of data.

It's a little-known fact that you CAN install Microsoft Map with Excel 2013 and use it to create and update maps. I did that for many years until something changed. I'm trying to get it back to the way it was.

I didn't intentionally uninstall Microsoft Map, but neither can I find it on my computer. Unfortunately for me, I don't remember what disk it is on. I've got Office 2000 disks, but it isn't clear if I can use them to install only Microsoft Map.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    I've found a CD with Microsoft Map and all its associated files. I'd like to put it onto my system, but I'm not sure how. If I just plop it into a folder under Program Files, is it likely to work? How will it get added to the registry?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    There is a snippet of directions from Helen Bradley in the response at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...0-a637660be63b for installing MAP that may work (the answer is supposedly for XL2010, but the snipped answer seems to be for earlier versions). I suspect if you install the map from the install disks you should be able to load the map addin to xl2010.

Steve

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sdckapr For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2014-04-14)

Thanks
    Thanks! I'll try it, but I'm deathly afraid that messing with an Office 2000 install will overwrite my Office 2013 installation. My Office 2013 disk has maxed out in its number of installations, and I probably can't get a new one. (I've got a bunch of macros, toolbar buttons, etc. in 2013, and I'm not very interested in moving all that stuff to the less-friendly 2010 environment, though I DO have it running on one of my systems.)
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    with a custom install you should be able to just install the map items, but it is has been a long time since I did the earlier installs...

Steve