New Lounger
    Thanks

Addressing in OutlookXP / WinXPPro (Outlook XP)

Greetings,

This question is about something I know how to do in Outlook2K but not XP. In 2K you can control the order in which Outlook looks for recipient addresses by opening the mail applet in control panel and going to the addressing tab. There you can specify that, for instance, Outlook should first look for 'Mr X' in the contacts folder first (if you've checked 'use this folder as an Outlook address book' in the contact's properties sheet) and then in the General address list (Exchange server's available recipients).

I can't figure out how to do this in Outlook XP. The behaviour of the mail applet is entirely different, and includes no similar feature that I've been able to find. I've got an Internet email address in my contacts folder which I want Outlook to use when I send mail to a particular person who also happens to have an Exchange account. Outlook insists on sending mail to the Exchange mailbox, unless I specifically enter the actual email address for that person. If I just type 'Mr X' it uses the local mailbox every time, even though there's a contact setup for Mr X with the proper email address entered.

Who was it at Microsoft who decided it would be a good idea to terminally obfuscate people's actual email addresses, anyway? I hope there's a special hell for such persons.

Thanks -- Brian.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Addressing in OutlookXP / WinXPPro (Outlook XP)

outlook has always sent to the exchange address by default - and it will send to the first address it matches, which is usually in the GAL (and is the exchange address) unless you change the search order. (address book icon, tools menu, options dialog to change the order)

email addresses should be visible in OL2002, unlike in previous versions. as for why it didn't in earlier versions, outlook began it's life as an exchange client and with exchange addresses, you don't really want to see all that garbage, just the name.