New Lounger
    Thanks

Removing Office 97 (Office 97 Professional SR-1)

I just installed Office 2000 Professional and also installed SR-1a for it. I installed Office 2000 to a separate directory. I plan to keep Office 97 on my system for a few weeks to ensure that Office 2000 works properly.

When I am ready to remove Office 97 -- from a PC with Office 2000 -- does anyone have any suggestions based on their experience? I have already reviewed the following MS KB articles for completely removing Office 97 (but none of them specifically refer to its removal from a PC with Office 2000 installed as well):

Q176823 (OFF97: Utility to Completely Remove Remaining Office 97 Files and Registry Entries)
    Q173431 (OFF97: How to Completely Remove the SR-1 Patch and Patch Update)
    Q158658 (OFF97: How to Completely Remove Microsoft Office 97)

My concern is that, in removing Office 97, I may trash some of the files and registry entries in Office 2000, necessitating a complete uninstall/reinstall or repair session. I am tempted to use the utility referenced in Q176823, but it says it is not recommended for use on a PC on which Office 2000 is installed.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve Gray
    Houston

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Removing Office 97 (Office 97 Professional SR-1)

It is not recommended to use different versions of the same Office applications on the same computer simultaneously (ie Word 97 and 2000, Excel 97 and 2000 and so on), but if you installed them already...
    I would recommend instead of removing Office 97, backup your data files and Office configuration (using Profile Wizard from Office 2000 Reskit), and then reformat hard drive and reinstall Windows and Office 2000 - this way you can avoid many potential problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't really done much customization of my settings on either installation of Office. I may go ahead and uninstall Office 97 per the KB articles and see how Office 2000 functions then.

I don't have enough experience backing up only my data files and then reinstalling Windows after a format. Otherwise, I would follow your suggestion. I do daily differential backups, so the Office 97 files (and all of the patches and service releases for Windows 98) are still on my backup CD-RWs (I back up everything once a week.). And there is no way I can selectively restore specific files using my current version of Backup Exec. It's either all or nothing.

I'll post back with the results when I offload Office 97. Thanks again for your prompt reply.

Regards.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

How easy to backup your data files depends of how you organize them. If you keep your documents, worksheets, presentations, databases, pictures, sounds an so on in "My Documents" folder, you can backup this folder only. But different programs want you to keep your files in different folders across your hard drive. If you follow their defaults, you must remember where your PDF files are, where, say, Photoshop images, etc., and backup these folders also. It is considered a good practice create a second partition on your hard drive and move "My Documents" folder on that partition, and also keep all other user files (as "My Music" folder created by Windows Media Player) on this partition. In this case, you don't need to backup your C: drive until you install, remove or update your programs, and regularly backup only much smaller D: drive.