New Lounger
    Thanks

XP Drive Settings

I have a Toshiba Satellite notebook with Windows XP Home, with a TEAC DVD-ROM.
    I can't seem to browse disks in the DVDROM. Is there a setting I'm missing for this?
    I had to share the drive to myself and browse it through the network in order to view it's contents.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: XP Drive Settings

Did this machine come with XP or did you upgrade it?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

It came with it.
    I've noticed that I can do a 'dir' command at a DOS prompt and view the contents of the drive, but if I try to open a directory from the Run window (like "D:myDirectory") it says 'This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.'

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you tried to browse the drives using "My Computer" or Windows Explorer"?

New Lounger
    Thanks

yep.
    From My Computer, if I select the drive icon, it won't take focus. If I right click on the drive, the Expand option is disabled, if I select Explore, it opens a new explorer window at the desktop level.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Since this is a NEW computer, I would take it back to where you bought it and have them help. Maybe even replace it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I found a solution for this on Toshiba's board:

"To both of you users. if you uninstall EasyCD that is bundled on this model, you get this issue. EasyCD is bundled on this model, even if you have no CD-RW hardware, since it's an optional accessory for the machine. The fix for this is to go to device manager and remove the secondary controller in ATAPI/IDE devices as well as removing the CD/DVD drive from device manager. Reboot and you can then explore CD's.

Once you uninstall EasyCD, it can NOT be reinstalled, since it is not on the recovery CD's for that mode. It was installed as part of an image that is not on the CD.

Doc Mark-Team Toshiba-
    Section leader #17, #19 & #20"

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Geez, what bloody nerve. I should have a word or two to say to Toshiba if I were you. How can they do something like that? That's like selling you a car which won't run if you take out the radio.
    Uninstall the secondary IDE controller? Does it then get re-installed on next boot? Or are they suggesting you purposely castrate your system to half-functionality?
    Sorry if I've got hold of the stick at the sharp end, but the advice you report in your last post beggars description. Return it and buy a Dell.

Rgds