New Lounger
    Thanks

Calculating (2002)

A newbie to Access and would like to know how to do month-to-date calcs. I input daily figures in one column and would like to have a running total in the next.

Thanx.

Kim

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Calculating (2002)

Kim,

I don't understand what you want to do, but the DateDiff function is something you can use for date calculations. Look in the help file for it.
    Francois

New Lounger
    Thanks

I want to have running totals on daily data entries. I do not want to manipulate dates.

If data is entered on 12/3 for a number of 20 and on 12/4 for a number of 30, I would like to accumulate the data in another column so that the accumulated column would show 20 for 12/3 and 50 for 12/4.

Thanx.

Kim

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You don't normally do that in a table, you do it in a query. It's bad design to store calculated data like this. How did you want to use this information?
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your response. I believe the earlier thread said that I want to do a month to date calculation on a daily basis. I do not think I said where this manipulation was to be done whether it is in a query, table, report, form or on a notepad.

Here is the form of the data to be calculated: I will enter the daily data into a table. Then somewhere else I would like to add todays value to yesterdays value to create a MTD (month-to-date) so that after the month has expired there would be two columns reporting data, one would be input, the other calculated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Kim

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, you have expanded on your original post, but it is still unclear as to whether you want to simply display the month-to-date in a form or report (you haven't specified which) or you want to store it in a table. What exactly are you trying to do? Unlike a spreadsheet, Access doesn't offer you a simple way to say "sum the values in that column from this row to that row". Without knowing exactly what you want to accomplish beyond displaying a cumulative value, it's hard to give you a useful answer.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

You said that it is 'bad practice' to store calculated output in a table. Therefore, it seems to me that the alternative is to use it in either a form or a report which is what I want to do.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know how to do this in a form or query without writing code.

In a report, put the amount field twice in the detail section and for the second one set the Running Sum property to "Over All" or to "Over Group".
    Francois

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Here's some "air" SQL to do it in a query:

SELECT MyTable.CustID, MyTable.TransDate, MyTable.DailyAmt,
    Val(nz(DSum("[DailyAmt]","MyTable","[CustID]=" & [CustID] & " AND [TransDate]<=#" & [TransDate] & "#") ,0) AS SumToDate
    FROM MyTable
    ORDER BY MyTable.CustID, MyTable.TransDate;

This assumes you have a table called MyTable and that it has at least a CustID field to identify the customer, a TransDate field to give you the date of the amount, and a DailyAmt field with a value in it. The calculated SumToDate will return the sum of the transactions for that CustID up to and including the current TransDate. You could substitute a subquery for the DSum as well.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Another way of describing what I want to do is a running sum. If possible, I would prefer to do it in a query so as it can be exported to VB.

Thanx.