Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Still no love!

I managed to update everything on a one by one basis but the Win 8.1. update 1 still fails!
    wu.JPG
    Now on to the possible fixes.

Update:
    dsimps.JPG
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-04-09 at 07:00.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't install KB2919355 - it goes all the way to 99% installation then states:"We couldn't complete the upgrades Windows changes. Undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer". It then rolls back to the way it was before trying to update. MS knows there's a problem - http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...m-wsus-servers

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oklajohn View Post
    I can't install KB2919355 - it goes all the way to 99% installation then states:"We couldn't complete the upgrades Windows changes. Undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer". It then rolls back to the way it was before trying to update. MS knows there's a problem - http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...m-wsus-servers
    But the issue at that link only applies to Enterprise Update Servers (WSUS); and only affects subsequent updates, not the main 8.1 Update.

If you used Windows Update, your problem is more likely one of the other issues collated by Susan Bradley (not #4): KB2919355 issues being tracked

Bruce

Thanks
    Went through on the third attempt. Havnt noticed anything different as yet as I have always booted to desktop with Start8. No doubt the changes will emerge in the days to follow.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    The only thing I noticed offhand is that it wiped out my Windows 7 bootmgr.efi and replaced it with bootfw.efi., so I'll have to go back through that again. I have the Trusted Platform Module disabled, and much prefer the Windows 7 loader.

Oh, and it did pin the Store App to the desktop taskbar. I'll unpin that. I don't use the Start Screen at all, so I haven't really looked at it.
    I piddled around in Windows 8.1 Update 1 (8.1.1 sounds better) for a bit, and didn't find anything much different. Nothing renamed or Personalizations undone that I noticed. I unpinned the Store App from the taskbar, then booted my TBWinRE EFI Rescue USB and launched Image For Windows, selected Restore and navigated to my laptop's full drive image on my NAS. I selected the EFI partition image as source and the laptop EFI partition as target, and got my Windows 7 bootmgr.efi restored.

I shut down the laptop, removed the USB stick and started it back up. I chose Windows 8 in the good ole Windows 7 boot menu, and it booted just fine. I then rebooted and selected Windows 7, which also booted just fine, and then reminded me that I have Windows Updates available - 61, as it turns out (after hiding the Bing Bar and Bing Desktop optional updates again).

I'll recheck for updates on both sides of my dual boot one more time, then boot my TBWinRE EFI Rescue USB and make a fresh full drive image of my laptop.

I forgot to mention that I'm using StartIsBack+ on 8.1, and nothing at all changed with it. Boots to the desktop with the StartIsBack+ Start Menu.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-04-09 at 12:22.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Hey Y'all,

I'm still getting error 800705AA. Which of course the "Help with this error" provides no useful information.

I read the articles and thought it might be because I'd moved the Documents, Pictures, Downloads, and Video's files to my G: drive. So I move them back using the Reset to Defaults option button on the properties window, rebooted and unfortunately got the same result.

Come on MS you make it easy to move this stuff then screw it up with an update!

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hey Y'all,

I'm still getting error 800705AA. Which of course the "Help with this error" provides no useful information.

I read the articles and thought it might be because I'd moved the Documents, Pictures, Downloads, and Video's files to my G: drive. So I move them back using the Reset to Defaults option button on the properties window, rebooted and unfortunately got the same result.

Have you read the Susan Bradley thread linked in post #18?

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Have you read the Susan Bradley thread linked in post #18?
    Joe
    Yes. You'll notice in this thread #16 I even posted the resulting error I got when I tried the DISM fix.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't have any problems installing the update but, on restart, my system was so slow I had to uninstall it. Couldn't find any processes running that would have caused it. After the uninstall everything is back to normal.

Thanks
    I've had no problems with the update (that I've found so far). RG, I also have my documents etc on another partition so I wonder if that's a red herring for you (though you've probably already decided that).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, 517.
    I did get the update KB2929355, not a twitch. And this one sees my Office 2000, yeah ! I had to reset a few Windows to open Maximized to fill my screen. I also had to Signing again, here, at Secrets. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2014-04-09 at 14:39.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hey Y'all,

Did the Reset to Defaults recreate all the My Documents, My Pictures, etc folders under C:\users\your user account?

Jerry

Thanks
    Jerry,

No, I reset each one manually. HTH

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Is it possible you missed one? I have documents, downloads, favorites, pictures, music, and Videos folders under my user ID.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBradley View Post
    2919355 is only offered up to 8.1 machines, not 8.0
    According to Mary Jo Foley at zd.net

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-1-use...te-7000028157/

Update: Those running Windows 8 will be able to move to 8.1 Update without updating to 8.1 first, Microsoft officials said.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast