Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Failing Windows 8.1 install

I have a purchased version of Win8 Pro installed and running on my laptop.

Going to the Windows Store, I download and attempt to install Win8.1 Pro. All I get after about a dozen different attempts, fixes, workarounds, and re-boot/try again, is Windows Update error 80070490.

The error applies to Vista. However, further search indicates to use DISM.exe to scan and restore the downloaded media file. No improvement. There is no System Update Readiness Tool for Win8.1 or Win8.

SFC /scannow shows all files okay.

Running the Win8.1 upgrade assistant offers no help but says the laptop will run Win8.1.

Anybody else run into this issue? There appear to be lots of hits with this error code on Win8.1, but no resolution that I can find.

Remember, the code is a Windows Update code. ALL fixes were applied to the Win8 system before running upgrade.

Help!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    It does indeed look as though some systems are not accepting the update successfully. Did you install other updates in Win 8 through WU prior to attempting the Win 8.1 upgrade through the store? There are some pre-requisites to Win 8.1 upgrade.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All updates were applied to the base Win8 Pro laptop system before attempting the Win8.1 download/install.

Note the error is a Windows Update error, not the upgrade install. The install process invokes Windows Update under the covers to see if there are any important fixes to apply before making the final switch. Maybe the Win8.1 Pro upgrade uses Windows Update to make the switch? If so, that is what is failing and the error code would be masking such a situation as there is NOTHING available to suggest such a thing or any recovery from this situation.

I have a workstation that accepted the upgrade just fine. These are both 64-bit systems.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My failing Win8.1 Pro installation saga continues. After another sfc /scannow run, and a dism run using Restorehealth (with corruption found and corrected), the attempt to install yields instead a fresh download from the Windows Store (did not use the already downloaded file).

I did a Google search for

Windows image file version 6.2.9200.16384

and hit a plethora of items noting corruption in this file. This is the file that is downloaded for my Win8.1 Pro install. However, that version number seems to be somewhat generic, in that many problems reported related to Win8 Pro with dates back several months.

Wrong file being downloaded??? Still nothing from Microsoft.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    6.2.9200 is Windows 8.0.

Windows 8.1 would be 6.3.9600.

Bruce

Thanks
    Today's newsletter does mention many problems with the Win 8.1 roll out. I suppose this could be due to overloaded servers, but I would more believe there is a bug that does not allow the update for some systems. I have to believe MS is working on solving this glitch, but as Susan Bradley states, it might be too early to update for some. If the update does not work, then restoring Win 8 and waiting might be the best solution for now.

I am not sure if the problem has even been identified yet which is causing these glitches. The best advice I can give is to make a complete backup BEFORE attempting the update, then restore Win 8 if problems occur.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    First thing I did was image my existing c: drive......

This worked for me. You will need your Win 8 key and a generic 8.1 key (which you'll change back to your Win 8 key after the install.) I created a DVD from the resulting .iso file.

http://www.neowin.net/news/here-is-h...-install-stick

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I go to the Windows Store and click on the 8.1 upgrade, the file that is downloaded, is tagged with 6.2.9200.16384, which as BruceR indicates, is a Windows 8 image file. Since the laptop is ALREADY running Win8 Pro (acquired as part of the $39.90 special offer), something is amiss. My other workstation, a 64-bit desktop unit, was updated the same way (was running Win8 Pro), and the downloaded image file for it is tagged as 6.3.9600.16384, installed without any issues.

I can't convert that *.ESD file to an image since the file seems to no longer be on that computer.

I am making one last attempt before waiting a week or two before trying again.

Since I am on Win8 Pro, I won't be stepping back to plain Win8 just to get out of this situation (had the Win8 Preview before). The Win8 Pro key is different from any plain Win8 key.

Thanks
    If you made an Image of your Win 8 Pro OS, then that is what will be restored from that Image, not a plain Win 8. When you restore from an Image you do NOT need to enter a product key. It's already in the Image and windows is already activated.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't use the Windows store.

I also have 64-bit Pro, and this worked for me. the Win 8 download doesn't actually go through; you pause and then cancel it, then select the Windows 8.1 download.

Perhaps this will be more helpful:

http://www.cyberfreewishes.com/2/pos...o#.UmSmdRBFor5

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Today's newsletter does mention many problems with the Win 8.1 roll out. I suppose this could be due to overloaded servers, but I would more believe there is a bug that does not allow the update for some systems. I have to believe MS is working on solving this glitch, but as Susan Bradley states, it might be too early to update for some. If the update does not work, then restoring Win 8 and waiting might be the best solution for now.

I am not sure if the problem has even been identified yet which is causing these glitches. The best advice I can give is to make a complete backup BEFORE attempting the update, then restore Win 8 if problems occur.
    Ya there are problems, it's an update/upgrade/service pack for a two-headed experiment. The usual advice about upgrades still applies I'm sure in that the patient needs to be in as pristine and receptive condition as possible. Of all the upgrades, the RT one should have gone off without a hitch because Microsoft is much more in control of that OS, yet they had to pull the upgrade from the download servers because it was bricking an unacceptable percentage of systems.
    Microsoft wants to make it work so they can move toward subscription-based OS but in the meantime some crash test dummies are going to be crumpled. I think I'm missing an arm and half my head at the moment.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just lost a couple fingers ; 8.1 would not copy to a network drive, said it needed 25+ gigs more room for 66 gigs to fit into 304 gigs of free space. Downloaded Teracopy and it has no issue with the copy. So if you get it downloaded/installed, the troubles may just be starting...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In my fun with Win8.1 Pro upgrade, on my 64-bit workstation, the Windows Store upgrade changed the key of my install after it was applied. The old Win8 Pro key was replaced by a new value.

I suspect that is one aspect of the "free" upgrade through the Windows Store...supplying a proper key. I did not see any indication that the key would change or that it had changed. Had I not checked, I would have been at a loss for this, which would have been unfortunate if that key was ever needed again.

By the way, on my successful 8.1 Pro upgrade (on the workstation), I created a Window 8 recovery image, which ends up being stored in a virtual disk drive file (*.vhdx). I was able to use Disk Management to mount that image. I suspect that one could boot from that image as well if it is added to the multi-boot list, though it might not be usable due to no free disk space in the vhdx file. Of course, one could delete the page/swap/hibernate files to get some space, and reconfigure that system to use space elsewhere for those functions.

I will add more when available with regards to my troubles upgrading the 64-bit laptop.

And, I did manage to download a Win8.1 Pro install image, build the ISO, and burn it to DVD. The original file is still on disk and could be placed on a bootable USB drive if necessary.
    Last edited by Ken Kashmarek; 2013-10-24 at 15:16.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kashmarek View Post

By the way, on my successful 8.1 Pro upgrade (on the workstation), I created a Window 8 recovery image, which ends up being stored in a virtual disk drive file (*.vhdx). I was able to use Disk Management to mount that image. I suspect that one could boot from that image as well if it is added to the multi-boot list, though it might not be usable due to no free disk space in the vhdx file. Of course, one could delete the page/swap/hibernate files to get some space, and reconfigure that system to use space elsewhere for those functions.
    Windows 7 introduced the possibility to boot from a virtual disk, so yes, it should be possible with your .vhdx file and Windows 8.1.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, if this doesn't take the cake:

recimg_ErrorMsg.jpg

The error I receive attempting to update Win8 Pro to Win8.1 Pro from the Windows Store, is 80070490, which from all apparent information available, is a Windows Update error code.

Check the command 'recimg" error code when there is no recovery image configured...80070490. Holy crap!

By the way, 'recimg' is the recovery image utility that can be used for system recovery. In some ways, it displaces the old Win7 recovery DVD that one would build after bringing a new system up.

Here is the doc:

recimg_Documentation.jpg

Win8 only.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast