Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

How'd your 8.1 (KB2919355-Tues March 8) upgrade go?

Date: March 8, 2014 Windows 8.1 update (KB2919355)
    Download size: >800MB

No problems so far, but it did turn system restore back on, which I had previously disabled, and put "This PC"
    back on my explorer main page, which I had previously removed.
    The update also reinstalled some default MS start screen apps that I had previously removed.

[NOTE] There were several other updates on this day that were needed prior to main event (KB2919355).

I did run cleanmgr on "system" afterward and it found 555MB worth of WU cleanup.
    ...Now off to make an image.

Like always, ensure you've made an image before installing this update.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-04-08 at 23:25.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Great. Been running it since 3/20 on two machines.

I also saw some apps revert. But otherwise it is fine.

Joe

Thanks
    My desktop (8.0) didn't get that one. I haven't used my laptop (8.1) for a spell. Perhaps I'll wake it up and update it.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    2919355 is only offered up to 8.1 machines, not 8.0

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBradley View Post
    2919355 is only offered up to 8.1 machines, not 8.0
    Yes, I know; wasn't expecting it on my desktop. However, it wasn't offered to my 8.1 laptop, either. I did get an offer for 30 important updates and 2 optional updates. I've declined (and hidden yet again) the Bing Bar optional update. Going through the process with the rest of them.

I didn't notice if KB2919442 was in that bunch, but it's not listed in my installed updates, so maybe that's why I didn't get KB2919355 offered yet.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    First round of 30 installed and rebooted, now I've been offered important update KB2919442. We'll see what's next...

KB2919442 installed, and a recheck for updates is now offering me KB2919355. Off to the races!

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I installed the update without incident. Haven't noticed any major changes to my setup but I hadn't customized it much other than installing Classic Shell which survived the update. Tried pinning a Metro app to the desktop task bar and it works fine. Also used the new taskbar while in Metro and it allowed me to get to a specific desktop app that was pinned to the taskbar. A lot handier than Winkey + D and then launching a pinned app.

it's a little early but I was having issues with a graphics driver restart when I awoke from sleep mode that seems to have gone away.

Jerry

Thanks
    The only thing I noticed offhand is that it wiped out my Windows 7 bootmgr.efi and replaced it with bootfw.efi., so I'll have to go back through that again. I have the Trusted Platform Module disabled, and much prefer the Windows 7 loader.

Oh, and it did pin the Store App to the desktop taskbar. I'll unpin that. I don't use the Start Screen at all, so I haven't really looked at it.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-04-08 at 19:55.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Hey Y'all,

I think the MS servers are swamped as I get the downloads up in WU but they won't install.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Like JoeP517, manually installed update 1 last month on one desktop and have been running it without any problems. Today my other desktop was updated via the "normal" Windows Update procedure. File size for the latter desktop was >800 megs. Interestingly, the other desktop (the manual install of update 1 in March) did install update KB2919355 but the file size was <200 megs. Apparently there were some differences between the March update files and today's files.

Rich

Thanks
    Hey Y'all,

I keep getting errors even after running the WU troubleshooter.
    Win8-1 Update1.JPG

Update: reran the WU Trouble shooter, which fixed two problems and system file checker w/o problems.
    Still will not install the 3 updates.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-04-08 at 21:35.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Run through the "get help with this error" RG, you'll be confronted with a couple suggestions, one being the DISM cleanup command.
    I had success on clearing out a previous but similar issue.
    Make sure your bandwidth/access is solid too.

See this thread too; http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-being-tracked
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-04-08 at 23:26.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hey Y'all,

I keep getting errors even after running the WU troubleshooter.

Update: reran the WU Trouble shooter, which fixed two problems and system file checker w/o problems.
    Still will not install the 3 updates.
    RG, do you have KB2919442 in your list of installed updates?

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Running windows 8.1. Tried this update and failed. Retried and it succeeded, BUT I found that I had no IE11, this being my only browser caused the obvious problem. I checked out my e-mail to myself and found that was working. I am using Classic shell, went to the start screen and tried the IE11 tile this also failed to open explore, however I had an explore blue screen. Uninstalled classic shell, still nothing. From e-mail messages the hyper link also failed to open ie explore. Finally went and uninstalled KB2919355 and back to a working IE11. I will down load another browser before re trying this update.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    RG, do you have KB2919442 in your list of installed updates?
    Bruce, yes I do it was installed on 3/16/2014!

I've Restored my boot drive (let's here it for images, mine via Macrium Reflect) and will try again later today when I have some time to monitor the process.

This is the current status of what WU wants to install:
    wu.JPG

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast