Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I have pretty much the same problem with Internet Explorer cited above. Internet Explorer no longer works after yesterday's updates and the update to 8.1.1. Fortunately IE is not my primary browser but you do need it for some websites (especially Microsoft's). I checked updates and there was another optional update available today but it didn't fix the IE problem. I also ran the Windows Troubleshooting and it said I had an incompatible add-on but removing that didn't fix the problem either. I suspect this is a problem affecting more than just a few people. I can wait for an update, if I have to.
    Last edited by JazzGuyy; 2014-04-09 at 17:22.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    Update: Those running Windows 8 will be able to move to 8.1 Update without updating to 8.1 first, Microsoft officials said.
    Intriguing, maybe she will have more specific information as to when and how in this week's Winders Wheekly because I never had a darn bit of luck in going to 8.1 to date.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    8.1 Update applied uneventfully.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    "8.1 Update applied uneventfully."

Ditto

I had to repair or redo a few APPs but, had started dealing w/ that prior to the Update. All is A-Ok, w/ that, now, btw, thanks, fixed everything. Ergo, can't say related to the Update or not.

Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg.1

Thanks
    The official word from Microsoft regarding moving to Windows 8.1 Update 1 from Windows 8
    (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...te-windows-8-1)

If your PC is running Windows 8 or Windows RT, open the Windows Store on your PC and update to Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1. This latest update will be included. For more info, see Update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8.
    Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Yes. You'll notice in this thread #16 I even posted the resulting error I got when I tried the DISM fix.
    But the error you showed did not have DISM as the command.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe,

It's the PowerShell equivalent.
    I tried it both ways and the PS version was the second so that's the one I posted. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
    I have pretty much the same problem with Internet Explorer cited above. Internet Explorer no longer works after yesterday's updates and the update to 8.1.1. Fortunately IE is not my primary browser but you do need it for some websites (especially Microsoft's). I checked updates and there was another optional update available today but it didn't fix the IE problem. I also ran the Windows Troubleshooting and it said I had an incompatible add-on but removing that didn't fix the problem either. I suspect this is a problem affecting more than just a few people. I can wait for an update, if I have to.
    The update turned off the Flash player and messed with the Active-X settings on IE for me. You might check into that. The options won't be visible unless you're on a site that is using flash or a site that is using Active-X.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After numerous attempts with this update I have eventually got there, a few more problems occurred along the way though. I down loaded firefox and this worked OK even though IE11 did not. My security has been Windows Defender and works well.
    Only 7 days earlier I had refreshed my PC all available updates had been installed all drivers had been up to date.
    I had used the trouble shooter and all appeared well, same with check disk. Also system restore failed too.
    Now I thought I would refresh it again to see if that helped.
    Prior to downloading update 1, I had used the F8 safe mode and it worked fine. Now around an hour later I found that I was unable to use refresh through the normal method, the system started off but stopped a few minutes later stating there was a problem and no changes had been made.
    A number of attempts were made with this same method but failed again.
    Now I found that the F8 button failed to operate to get to the safe mode screen to use the repair PC option.
    Eventually I got there through the msconfig.exe method.
    Followed through onto the refresh PC retaining my settings.
    I then started the updates rolling but I had also installed Classic shell and firefox.
    All was going well with the updates however a slight distraction (talking) and I started off another down load I noticed it was a large one, once completed I found it was the by now dreaded KB2919355 Lo and behold it installed and IE11 was also working.
    I must say despite this problem with the 8.1 update1 I am very impressed with the refresh mode in W8, normally quite simple to use, despite the hassle of reinstalling a few of my own programs.
    Last edited by edd2; 2014-04-10 at 02:05.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.pcmmc.com/error-800705aa.php
    That doesn't look good. Do you have the ability to do a repair install? Access to media?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Having felt good about sorting out my PC all was going well downloading programs and tools and installing from disc my usual stuff along comes a problem.

Yet again IE11 stopped working.

However I have narrowed down the problem. I noticed as soon I downloaded Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) the JRT screen flashed up, with the press any key to continue, I did not continue and simply X out as I was busy bee down loading. I noticed straight away that IE11 failed to load. Slightly better news system restore worked but only back to a critical update prior to KB2919355.
    I have now updated everything setting restore points pre KB2919355, this update succeeded and IE11 works too, have set restore point post KB2919355 and will set some more with office installed + its updates.

It appears that there may be a bug in JRT which KB2919355 does not like as I had JRT on my PC before attempting 8.1 update 1 in the first place.

Hope this information may be of use.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is getting to be a right pain. Have just run CCleaner and all was well however when it came to the registry issues ran it as I usually have and yet again IE11 would not open. Fortunately I sorted it with a restore point after all my office updates were added. Seems this 8.1 update 1 does not like any action with the registry.
    Looks like I will have to leave Ccleaner alone for a while.
    Will see what happens when I try to clean up using disk clean up.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edd2 View Post
    This is getting to be a right pain. Have just run CCleaner and all was well however when it came to the registry issues ran it as I usually have and yet again IE11 would not open. Fortunately I sorted it with a restore point after all my office updates were added. Seems this 8.1 update 1 does not like any action with the registry.
    Looks like I will have to leave Ccleaner alone for a while.
    Will see what happens when I try to clean up using disk clean up.
    Disk clean up is all you need, why risk creating issues when everything is ok, by using a registry cleaner?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Hey Y'all,

Well I finally got Update 1 to install. The bad news is I had to do a Refresh to get it to work. ( sure glad I installed the 8.1 update from a USB key as that was the only media I had to do the refresh with.) So now I'm going through the exercise of reinstalling all of my applications (at least MS was nice enough to post a list of the applications it destroyed to the desktop) and resetting their settings. Interestingly the refresh did not change the location of my Documents folder back to the C: drive but let it continue to reside on the G: drive.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comment ruirib.

Disk clean has just finished and all is well, PC is flying and IE11 is still working.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast