2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Running programs after rebuild

A few weeks ago, a nasty cyber attack necessitated a reformat of my internal hard disk and a reinstall of Windows 7 and Microsoft Office. The technician who did the rebuild provided me with copies of these programs, pending my acquisition of my own licenses. I was happy to do this as the original installation was a corporate version. I have bought in personal versions of Windows 7 Professional and Office 2010 Pro. Fortunately, all my personal data was on external drives.
    The question I have may seem a bit trivial, but the procedure could possibly affect other programs. My original software and the copies I borrowed from my technician all included the old-style Microsoft Games (solitaire, chess titans and so forth). I am not a great games player, but they are handy to pass the time while monitoring a process such as a scan. The odd thing is that they are not included in my new copy of Windows 7. I had saved the Program Files folders from the old installation, so I copied the Microsoft Games across to the new installation and placed the usual shortcuts on the desktop.
    When I click on the shortcut, the cursor rotates a couple of times, then disappears and nothing else happens. Can any of you experts out there tell me what is happening?
    As an aside, there is a version of Microsoft Games one can buy, but it is full of these elaborate procedural games, involving fighting or building something - not suitable for my needs at all. I like to spend my time productively!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks