New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 dropping external sata drives after it goes to sleep

I have a tower computer with two internal sata hard disk drives (one with VISTA installed, and one with Win7 installed), one internal sata DVD RW, and two external sata hard disk drives. The internal sata HDDs are boot drives. I use the change the ROM to boot one internal drive Win7 or the other for VISTA. If I boot to VISTA I get the VISTA drive as the internal C: boot drive, D: DVD RW, E: and F: external drives, and the WIN7 internal drive is G:. If I change the ROM and boot to WIN7, I get the WIN7 drive as C:, the DVD RW as D:, the external drives as E: and F:, and the VISTA drive as G:.

If I boot to VISTA, all of the drives are listed in Windows Explorer, and they stay there, even if the computer goes to sleep.

If I boot to Win7, all of the drives are listed in Windows Explorer, but if the computer goes to sleep, the external drives become unavailable. After the computer wakes up, the E: and F: drives may or may not appear in Windows Explorer. If they do, and I select one of them, the computer begins to search the drive, and then the drive disappears from the list. If I open a cmd window, I can change to the E: or F: drive. I can do a DIR command and get a listing of the drive, but then when I open Windows Explorer, the drive are gone. When I go back to the cmd window, the drives are gone.

What do I have to do to prevent WIN7 from dropping the external SATA drives after it goes to sleep?

Stumped.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Is Win7 up-to-date with patches?

Are you using an external hub?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is Win7 64 bit and yes, it is SP1 and up-to-date with important updates.

I don't believe I'm using and external hub. The mother board is an Intel DX38BT with 6 serial ATA ports on the board, and 2 eSATA ports on the back panel. The block diagram indicates that all of the SATA ports, internal and external, are controlled by the Intel X38 Express Chipset on the mother board.

The drives apparently shut themselves down if they are not accessed for some period of time. I deduce this as I get very quick response from them if I access them often. If I don't access them for a while, when I ask for data from, or try to save data to the drive, there is a delay, and I can hear a click and whir like the drives is starting to spin again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To be more specific, this is Win 7 Professional, SP1, Microsoft Windows Version 6.1.7601.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an external usb drive that does exactly the same.

I'm guessing it's the characteristics of the drive more than anything that want to shut down rather than keep spinning. Personally I don't see it as a problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem is that once Win7 drops the drives, you can't get them back! They are no longer listed in Windows Explorer. They are no longer listed in Disk Management. They are gone! You have to reboot the computer to get the disks back. I see that as a serious problem.

I did/do not have this problem when I boot to Windows Vista.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you used Device Manager to check the power management settings for the drives?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I looked in the Device Manager and didn't find any place to adjust the power settings for the drives. Do you mean the drive settings in the advanced Power Options? I set that to turn off the drives after 1440 minutes (24 hours). That didn't change anything. Both eSATA drives disappear after the computer goes to sleep. When I set the computer to never sleep, the drives never disappear. That strongly suggests that having the computer go to sleep is what causes the drive problem. I'm still searching the web for a solution, but haven't found one yet.