Lounger
    Thanks

label printing (Word 97-SR2)

I am converting our documents from WordPerfect to Word and one of the last are sheets of disk labels. In WordPerfect, I was able to specify to print individual labels, in order or not, and they printed in the position as viewed on the screen. In Word, I cannot print individual labels.

A little background about the sheets of labels. They are disk labels for the disks that accompany our courseware. We create only what we need as they are needed. The reason only certain labels are required is because some on the sheet of blank labels have already been used. I am almost desperate enough to print entire sheets and hope that they don't go to waste. But, I cannot/does not understand why Word cannot do this.

I have tried "print/selection" which doesn't really work and it prints in first position. I have tried to identify each label as a "section" so that I could print individual sections using the "print/page(s)/s...)" technique but I could not get each label to be a section.

Is there anything anyone can come up with? Am I going about this the wrong way? Should I maybe create a data table of labels then merge? Would I then be able to specify which labels to print?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: label printing (Word 97-SR2)

Word 2000 has this capability, but you'll have to forgive me if 97 does not--I don't recall. Open your file, hit Tools-Envelopes and labels. On the labels tab, at the bottom, I have the option to print a certain row and a certain column.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: label printing (Word 97-SR2)

The 'specify col/row' function is available in W97 - but I'm not sure it works quite as Dreamboat mentions. The text it will print in the required col/row position is only that which is in the labels window at the time, not just what is on the page.

To put the text in the window, highlight it before you click on Tools, Envelopes and Labels - usually it will automatically put the highlighted text in the window. However, it does have the occasional rush of something to the brain (or whatever Word uses instead of one of those!) and not do so - I got into the habit of pressing Ctrl-C (to copy the highlighted text) before going into Tools, Envelopes and Labels; then if it didn't put the text in automatically, I could just press Ctrl-V (paste) and put it in myself.

HTH
    Beryl M