Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The day after

Thanks
    Well, it seems the devil was at work around here also...

In [underwhelming] anticipation of my XP machine's entry into harm's way, I got W7 "Ultimate" (oh, really?) installed on an alternate drive. The "Day After" that, coinciding with the Day After you refer to, it crashed hard, never to boot again.

I write this with XP Home SP3, Alive and well, thank you.

If some bugger hacks and destroys it, what have I got to lose? My files are backed up and hard drives are cheap.

BRING IT ON !
    "IF I CAN'T FIX IT, IT AIN'T BROKE!"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    You lucky DOG!, that 1200 baud modem "SMOKES" my 300!

On the other hand, did you know that there serial ports today, that will not go that slow, they start at 2400 baud?
    Wow! You guys have modems? I still fumble around with sneaker-net exchanging floppies! I guess technology has passed me by! What next? Are you going to tell me that they are developing systems nowadays using anything other than assembler and Cobol?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PEYTON PLACE View Post
    Well, it seems the devil was at work around here also...

In [underwhelming] anticipation of my XP machine's entry into harm's way, I got W7 "Ultimate" (oh, really?) installed on an alternate drive. The "Day After" that, coinciding with the Day After you refer to, it crashed hard, never to boot again.

I write this with XP Home SP3, Alive and well, thank you.

If some bugger hacks and destroys it, what have I got to lose? My files are backed up and hard drives are cheap.

BRING IT ON !
    I am with you! Still using XP SP3 behind a firewall. Have my drive imaged and data backed up to different mediums. I also delved into Linux using Puppy Slacko booting from a USB drive on an HP notebook that was pretty much useless under windows with its Atom processor. Slacko loads everything to RAM so performance is great. Perfect for surfing the net. I am also trying this Linux version from Zorin and I have to say, it is the closest thing to windows XP you will ever find. They include the latest WINE version that allows me to install and run most Windows apps including MS Office 2003.

Not trying to plug any particular software, but there are alternatives so even if my XP stops working for some reason, I do not see the need to go Win8 or whatever flavor MS is hawking these days. Better yet, with Linux the hardware requirement, you do not need to upgrade your hardware.
    So, now off to play with the Mint version of Linux.

Thanks
    Thanks much for the info. Would you please PM me with some details on "Puppy Slacko" and the "Linux version from Zorin"? And what is "the Mint version of Linux"?

Thanks Again, PP-

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Puppy is a popular version of Linux, (number 10 on Distrowatch http://distrowatch.com), but it is for very old computers that can't support other distros like Zorin or Linux Mint.

if you have the hardware to support Zorin (number 9 on Distrowatch) or Linux Mint (number 1) they are better choices.

Zorin http://zorin-os.com/free.html Zorin 8 is newer, Zorin 6 has long term support

Linux Mint http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

If you download the .iso files, you can burn them to DVDs or install them on USB thumb drives, if you XP hardware supports booting from a USB thumb drive.

You can live boot from the DVD or thumb drive without installing and without disturbing XP, if you want to.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

PEYTON PLACE (2014-04-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RS-232? I could wire up null-modem cables in my sleep. Then they came out with those tiny 9-pin connectors!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    Puppy is a popular version of Linux, (number 10 on Distrowatch http://distrowatch.com), but it is for very old computers that can't support other distros like Zorin or Linux Mint.

if you have the hardware to support Zorin (number 9 on Distrowatch) or Linux Mint (number 1) they are better choices.

Zorin http://zorin-os.com/free.html Zorin 8 is newer, Zorin 6 has long term support

Linux Mint
    Thanks. How old is too old? I had W7 x64 (seemingly) running OK on a Dell Dimension 4700, ca. 2005. Its only issue was the lack of an available W7 video driver for its on-board Intel graphics chip. All other hardware had drivers available and no conflicts.

All (seemed) well until I installed Google Earth, which the W7 x64 version would not run in any of its graphics modes.

Upon uninstalling it, the Dell rolled over and died (W7 - wise).

That was when I decided I'd had enough Windows improvements. I am back on XPH SP3 (it WORKS) but realize the scripting is on the wall as far as its internet usage is concerned.

I have the Zorin OS-8 lite ISO downloaded. I will try the USB stick approach next, with a different HDD selected.

Hope to hear from you soon, PP-

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. How old is too old? I had W7 x64Thanks. How old is too old? I had W7 x64
    If you upgraded it from Windows 95 to XP and it has 256MB of memory and a 1.3 GB hard drive, that's old, and you better go for Puppy.

Is the Dell Dimension 4700 the machine that you want to install it on? You don't say how many cores your 64-bit processor has, how much memory, or what size your hard drive is, Probably a Core 2 Duo with 1GB of memory or more, and 80GB hard drive, in which case Zorin or Linux Mint would be fine.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As an additional guideline, if the download burn to a CD, it's probably intended for an older machine that only has a CD-ROM optical drive, and corresponding older hardware.

If the download is for a DVD, that's for a newer machine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    If you upgraded it from Windows 95 to XP and it has 256MB of memory and a 1.3 GB hard drive, that's old, and you better go for Puppy.

Is the Dell Dimension 4700 the machine that you want to install it on? You don't say how many cores your 64-bit processor has, how much memory, or what size your hard drive is, Probably a Core 2 Duo with 1GB of memory or more, and 80GB hard drive, in which case Zorin or Linux Mint would be fine.
    Hello again.

The iso file for Z-8 light is 926,720 Kb and thus too large fo a CDR. My DVD drive is not a burner.

I was recently given a Dimension 9100 which had a MSRP of ~ $2,700 in 2005, vs. the Dimension 4700 list price of under $500 the same year.

The 4700 has a P4, 2.8 GHz single core chip, two seagate 250 Gbyte SATA HDD's and 4 Gb of Corsair ram (but only presents at 3 Gb which is a MB/chipset limitation).

But I should make these efforts on the 9100 rather than flog the dying horse. The 9100 is a much heavier hitter, and I enjoy getting free computers to run at their best potential. Seems like a more sensible project.

I'll be posting my foreward and backward progress and most likely asking more advice.

Regards and thanks, PP_

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The 4700 has a P4, 2.8 GHz single core chip, two seagate 250 Gbyte SATA HDD's and 4 Gb of Corsair ram (but only presents at 3 Gb which is a MB/chipset limitation).
    I had a Dell Optiplex 260, a Dell Optiplex 280, and a Dell Precision 370, which had P4s ranging from 2.4 to 2.8Ghz, but I have moved them out. I decided that I didn't want to deal with P4s anymore, especially since they all had COAs for Windows XP Professional, and I have a couple of Dell Optiplex 755s, one with a Core 2 Duo processor, and one with a Core 2 Quad.

Still the P4 should run Zorin, and the 9100 is what you have.

I don't think you can boot the 9100 from a USB thumb drive, but I don't have one to check that on, so you should check it on yours. One of my Optiplex 755s will boot from a USB thumb drive, and the other will not. In fact when you go to the F12 boot screen, it doesn't even see it. Otherwise, do you have access to another computer that has a DVD burner, either a friend or at work?

Thanks
    HELLO,

I have not picked up the 9100 yet, the guy who gave it to me was sick today but it should not be long before I can mess around with it.

The D-4700 will boot from a USB stick, at least it's a choice in the boot menu section of the BIOS screen.

Is the file < zorin-os-8-lite.iso > the bootable element? If so, could I copy it to my other SATA 250 Gbyte drive, which has a 50 gig and a 200 gig partitions on it, ( partitioned and formatted with Acronis True Image ), and have the machine boot to the ISO file? I select and deselect these drives in BIOS prior to booting, so there would be no Windows issues.

And, out of curiosity, what is the name of the Zorin file system? The drive is formatted with NTFS, but I couled easily change that if the necessary file system is available with Acronis. ( I am assuming that the Zorin installation ISO sets up its own file system during installation, so it would not matter what FS the drive is formatted in.)

Thanks again, and please keep the information coming!

PP-

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The .iso file is similar to a .zip file and has to be opened and unpacked while it is "burned" to the USB or DVD. Most CD/DVD software can burn a .iso file to a DVD, but you need something else to burn it to a USB

When you are burning a Windows iso, Microsoft has a Utility called Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool. There is a similar tool for Linux called Universal-USB-Installer.

You can get it from http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/. There are also directions for it's use there.

I have used it but not recently, so my memory is not fresh on exactly how to do it. Besides, I couldn't get the BIOS of the machine I wanted to use it on to see the thumb drive, although other machines that I did not want to load it on could see it, and boot from it as a live boot.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps I should stop using my Sinclair ZX81. I quite fancy trying these new fangled internet gadgets.

Thanks
    So, I picked up the Dim. 9100 today, but upon examination is is extremely filthy and in need of complete disassembly, thorough cleaning, re-assembly, and testing. It will be a couple of days before I can try the Zorin install.

It does have a Lite-ON "DVD/CD Rewritable Drive", Model SOHW -1633S, which. I assume is the type that can burn an ISO file to a DVD blank. Assuming, again, that it is functional.

I'll post here again when I have some meaningful test results, good or bad. I may try this "new" drive in the Dim. 4700 as an aside to play with the Zorin ISO. (IF it works!)

Thanks again to all who responded.

I'll be back, PP-

<|>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast