Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The day after

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you confirm that it's possible to boot from a USB flashdrive/thumbdrive and you want it to boot up and operate quickly then you may wish to look at the Sandisk Extreme USB flashdrive. It comes in various capacities. The Sandisk is a bit special because it offers not only fast Read/Write speeds on large files (such as videos, photos, and music collections) but is also fast at reading & writing small files. Most operating systems and software programs consist of a bunch of small files. Most USB flashdrives and traditional hard drives have poor performance with these small files. The Sandisk Extreme is many times faster so Linux or Windows loads quickly and runs quick & snappy. I've played with Puppy Linux a few times on both old and new PCs. For me the main shortcoming is how long it takes to boot up from a DVD. As i recall it loads (slowly) into RAM memory and then runs OK once that's done .... but it takes a while to get there. Booting from a USB flashdrive that features speedy performance on both large and small files will avoid the long bootup times and still be quick once it's booted up. By the way, that fast performance on small files is available on older USB ports as well as the newer versions.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to starvinmarvin For This Useful Post:

PEYTON PLACE (2014-04-24)

Thanks
    So, I got ahold of a 32 Gbyte USB "stick", and used < Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.5.2.exe > to put the Zorin files on it.

The setup "bios" on this machine has a provision to boot from a "USB Device".

What do I need to do now? I put that option at the top of the Boot Menu list. It booted to the SATA drive with Windows XP.

I am at a loss but feel very close now. Need your continuing guidance, Thanks
    "IF I CAN'T FIX IT, IT AIN'T BROKE!"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Occasionally, when I've tried to boot from a CD, I've found the thing just boots from the HD anyway, whatever I've done with the boot order.
    When the machine starts, after POST, do you get a prompt to select a boot device at the same time as a prompt to enter setup? A typical one might be:

Press F2 for Setup, F12 to select Boot Device

You should be able to select your USB stick from there. That should be a way to confirm you've successfully made it bootable.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

PEYTON PLACE (2014-05-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It all still works

Thanks
    "Press F2 for Setup, F12 to select Boot Device"

Yes, that works ! Now, to ;earn Zorin OS-8 Lite. I'm so glad it's not Win7, 8, etc. Thanks!

P.S. The apps that come with it are amazing, reminds me of RedHat (Long time ago)

Thanks
    THE DAY AFTER I INSTALLED ZORIN

I am liking it more with learning a few things. Had one inexplicable spontaneous reboot, but I suspect it was a temperature-cpu situation as the weather here has been unseasonably HOT.

Is there a user guide or manual available (Zorin for imbeciles) etc ? I would like to learn all I can about this OS, but there is no help function save "about".

Thanks again to all who helped out on this, and please continue.

BTW, the Audacious music player working with my Creative Audigy sound card, soumds much better than Media Player/XP. Amazingly well, considering that the speakers I have connected at this time are *&(^%.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess you saw the Zorin Forum How tos and Tutorials page

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

It's not what I would call a tutorial, but apparently it is what Zorin calls a tutorial.

If you have a specific thing that you want to know, and there is a post there that covers it, it may be helpful, but overall, not so much.

Thanks
    Thanks for the link. I'm sure I'll eventually learn enough about Linux to be mostly self-sufficient. After working on some mainframe beasts in the '70s and '80s (I'll never will forget the node of 7 CDC Cypher7's in the development lab of an upgrade to the Ballistic Missile Early Warning System, which could absolutely give more than a few Cray installs a good tun for it.) in 1991 I bought a Packard Bell 386 SX-20 which I christened "The Hourglass". Since then it's been an evolutionary education of ThingsMicrosoft.

Given the wily-nilly and ~patchwork~ nature of those GUI's, I believe if one can learn the ins and outs of Winders, any decent OS can be mastered to a practical level. So now I embark on what I hope to be not so mystical voyage. Wagons Ho!

And aagain, Thanks for the help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PEYTON PLACE View Post
    THE DAY AFTER I INSTALLED ZORIN

I am liking it more with learning a few things. Had one inexplicable spontaneous reboot, but I suspect it was a temperature-cpu situation as the weather here has been unseasonably HOT.

Is there a user guide or manual available (Zorin for imbeciles) etc ? I would like to learn all I can about this OS, but there is no help function save "about".

Thanks again to all who helped out on this, and please continue.

BTW, the Audacious music player working with my Creative Audigy sound card, soumds much better than Media Player/XP. Amazingly well, considering that the speakers I have connected at this time are *&(^%.
    Zorin is a great product but like any other Linux product documentation is, to say it in PC, lacking. After all, different Linux versions are created by perhaps one or 2 developers. To this day I have not met a developer who likes or has the desire and ability to create documentation!

I use Zorin on an HP notebook with a stinky Atom processor and 1 GB RAM with WINE installed, I run MS office 2003, and some other windows apps with not much problem. Zorin looks a lot like Windows but that's where the similarities end. Zorin allows you to chose the OS at boot time. The only issue with Zorin is that it replaces the bootloader with its own version and you may have a problem reverting back to Windows only if you want to uninstall it. At least, that's what I have read in several Linux forums and I did not have a need to uninstall it yet. But then again, that's what imaging software are for, right?

I also have another Gateway notebook with the same specs that runs Puppy Slacko booting off of a USB drive. Slacko loads everything into the RAM. This is the machine I use to surf the internet as I do not save the session at the end and it reverts back to the original state.The Windows partition is intact and if I remove the USB before it boots ups, Windows comes up as usual. Keep in mind that Slacko is NOT a multiuser OS as it has only one user running with root privileges which by the way it does not make it a security issue as you can chose not to save your session if something goes wrong. If you want total peace of mind, then you can create a Slacko CD and boot from it.

Both OSs discovered all the hardware especially the Broadcom Wireless card. Again, reading the Linux forum apparently there are some driver issues with Broadcom cards not having Linux drivers. I did not have any problem.

Bottom lines: A user cannot go wrong with either version.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to johngaz For This Useful Post:

PEYTON PLACE (2014-05-17)

Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I have a question re: "The only issue with Zorin is that it replaces the bootloader with its own version and you may have a problem reverting back to Windows only if you want to uninstall it. "

Are you referring to the file (Win XT) C:\boot.ini? On this machine, its contents are:

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

That looks normal to me. I For Zorin-os8-lite I am using a 32 gByte USB stick. It is only bootable when I choose the "boot menu" option (F2) immediately when booting.

I do not recall whether booting Zorin writes a ramdisk on any hardrives, I'll check that next time I boot Zorin.

There is a file < C:\sh4ldr > in the root directory of the XT drive, is that a Zorin loader file? I'm not sure when it was put there, but I did make all sorts of attempts, using all sorts of approaches, before getting the USB stick. I just don't remember.

Thanks again, hope to see more soon, R-

Thanks
    Please disregard the reference to "sh4ldr"

Thanks
    The OS is Dead! Long Live the OS!

XP Rules

We are even at this late date after the day after, staring the Bogeymen in the eye and flaunting our loyalty to Windows XP.

I found an "old" Linksys non-wi fi "Broadband Firewall Router" at a thrift store for about $2.00

Dug up from the harware archives a 12VDC 500 mA regulated wall wart originally used with a board camera. Works fine. It provides us with a nice warm fuzzy, a.k.a. Cozy False Sense of Security.

It may be that I am "Tickling the Dragon's Tail", but as far as we can tell the forces of doom & gloom have been staved off.

I you do not hear from me again, you can surmise just what horrible fate has beset us.

Regards, -PP-

<|>
    Last edited by PEYTON PLACE; 2014-08-08 at 10:35. Reason: Loose Nut Behind the Keyboard

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i also rely on an old firewall. Whenever i want to go on the internet my wife takes up a position between the cable modem and the computer. In her hand is a large frying pan. At the first sign of malware approaching she brandishes the frypan with a fierce scowl on her face. Needless to say, our computer has remained malware free ......

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    lol; enjoyed reading the backstory Peyton. I still have an ol' 3COM NIC that I can't use since they never ported drivers for Win Vista and later. I should sell, it, but it's on my counter; well now in my hand since your story reminded me of all the old perfectly fine hardware that no longer can be used with today's OSs. Oh well; just venting.

Also, I can just see your wife's scowl Marvin. lol

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PEYTON PLACE View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have a question re: "The only issue with Zorin is that it replaces the bootloader with its own version and you may have a problem reverting back to Windows only if you want to uninstall it. "

Are you referring to the file (Win XT) C:\boot.ini? On this machine, its contents are:

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

That looks normal to me. I For Zorin-os8-lite I am using a 32 gByte USB stick. It is only bootable when I choose the "boot menu" option (F2) immediately when booting.

I do not recall whether booting Zorin writes a ramdisk on any hardrives, I'll check that next time I boot Zorin.

There is a file < C:\sh4ldr > in the root directory of the XT drive, is that a Zorin loader file? I'm not sure when it was put there, but I did make all sorts of attempts, using all sorts of approaches, before getting the USB stick. I just don't remember.

Thanks again, hope to see more soon, R-
    Peyton Place, sorry for the late reply but I have not logged in this forum for a long time. The Bootloader is the program that the Master Boot Record (MBR) points to in order to find the OS.
    Linux distros use their own bootloader called GRUB because Windows bootloaders do not recognize Linux installs but Linux bootloaders recognize other OS installs. So, the Zorin installation will modify the MBR to point to the GRUB loader and when you remove the Zorin installation you may run into trouble as your MBR may point to a bootloader that perhaps does not exist.
    Once solution will be to make sure that before you install Zorin oh the HD, you image the HD and you keep it in a safe location. But you are doing this already, right? (If not, you may want to consider HD imaging)
    I have not tried to uninstall Zorin myself, but I read this warning on some Linux forums.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast