5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Internet Explorer 11

According to the list of installed updates in Windows Update I have installed IE 11 on my Win 7 Pro 64 bit system, and the cumulative security update to IE 11 released yesterday was successfully installed, but I have just noticed that when I open IE and go to the Help/About IE window it shows the version as IE 10.

What can I do about this?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Strange one that but you could try resetting IE to defaults or a reinstall of IE 11 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    According to the list of installed updates in Windows Update I have installed IE 11 on my Win 7 Pro 64 bit system, and the cumulative security update to IE 11 released yesterday was successfully installed, but I have just noticed that when I open IE and go to the Help/About IE window it shows the version as IE 10.

What can I do about this?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    I personally would uninstall the IE 11 update, and let it go back to IE 10 (or whatever you had before the update). Then if you want to, go to microsoft.com and install IE 11 straight up.

To fully uninstall IE 11, go to Control Panel / Programs and Features. Uninstall any instances of IE 11 which are listed under Programs and Features and Installed Updates, and uncheck it under Turn Windows Features On or Off. After doing all three of those steps, reboot.

To then install IE 11, go here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/i...ownload-ie-MCM

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried all of the things suggested in the above replies but was told that an error occurred in respect of all 3 of the steps mentioned in reply #3. I tried several times and got the same message each time, and rebooting made no difference.

Is there anything else I can try?
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    1. You could try the manual steps (including Step 4) to reset the Update Components http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

2. Check to see if Event Viewer is reporting any related errors and check the Reliability report to see if that has flagged anything by displaying red crosses in the dates.

3. Open a Command Prompt as an administrator and run a sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    I tried all of the things suggested in the above replies but was told that an error occurred in respect of all 3 of the steps mentioned in reply #3. I tried several times and got the same message each time, and rebooting made no difference.

Is there anything else I can try?
    After you at least tried the steps and then rebooted, did you find that your earlier version of IE worked without problem?

If so, then maybe the uninstall was successful.

If not, then try rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking to do the three uninstall steps.

And by the way, all three steps may not be necessary. For example, if you find nothing related to IE 11 in a particular list, then you don't need to worry about that step.

The fresh install of IE 11 could probably be done from Safe Mode with Networking, or from standard Windows mode.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding post #5 when I entered the command referred to in step 3 I was told the system could not find the path specified.

Neither Event Viewer nor the Reliability report showed anything relevant.

I ran sfc /scannow and the only corrupt files found related to Solitaire, (they could not be repaired) which puzzles me, although I am not worried about this because the game works perfectly.

Regarding post #6 after trying the steps and rebooting the earlier version of IE worked without problem.

I will try a fresh install of IE 11 from Safe Mode with Networking, but if anyone has any further comments I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried a fresh install of IE 11 from Safe Mode with Networking, and that was said to be successful, but when I rebooted and opened Help/About in IE the version was still shown as 10.

Further advice would be appreciated.

Roy Whitethread

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I decided to try the non destructive reinstall routine, but at a step after the gathering files etc. item I had to reboot. Instead of rebooting and continuing the reinstall my PC failed to boot and emitted a series of rapid beeps, with the cursor moving rapidly across the screen. I was able to restore my system from a Macrium Reflect image, using a Macrium rescue CD, and then made an up to date image. After that I performed a clean install of Win 7 Pro, installed all Windows updates, and finally have IE 11 working.

Why the boot error occurred is beyond me.

Regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It's possible that error could have occurred because of the dual boot, but I don't know if anyone else on the forum has had a similar experience with a non destructive reinstall who also have a dual boot set up.

It would seem that the IE 11 problem was one of those unfathomable Windows problems that can only be resolved with a clean install even though a sfc is supposed to repair any corrupt system files - but it does depend upon the state of the volume that it is drawing from.

Anyway, glad that you have sorted it and thanks for the update.