5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Please Explain "This PC"

I am gradually learning how to think in the Win8 way! I have read about Libraries and they seem pretty straightforward but the "This PC" item in the file explorer still puzzles me. I have downloaded the Xplorer2 file explorer and used it for a while. I had thought that the "This PC" section in the Win8 file explorer might be just a special view of some of the folders and files, but even Xplorer2 shows a section of folders under the "This PC" heading. It looks like the folders under "This PC" are duplicates of folders I see under a straight listing of the contents of the C: drive. Is that true? I have added two accounts to this laptop: an Administrator's account and a User's account. I'm used to viewing files under the C: heading and under each of the account headings.

Can someone explain this to me or point me to a tutorial that explains it?

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    It is only a name. There is no significance. I changed the name to "Computer". "This PC" in Windows 8 means the same thing as "My Computer" in Windows 7. It is only a name, and you can change it if you wish.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    It is only a name. There is no significance. I changed the name to "Computer". "This PC" in Windows 8 means the same thing as "My Computer" in Windows 7. It is only a name, and you can change it if you wish.
    But, are the folders and files listed under "This PC" the same as the ones that are listed under the Documents folder under her account heading? For example, I have just finished moving my wife from an old WinXP machine to a new Win8.1 laptop and now I see Word files for example down below "This PC" and also in a sub-folder on the C: drive. Are they probably the same files or is "This PC" a different physical location?

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    But, are the folders and files listed under "This PC" the same as the ones that are listed under the Documents folder under her account heading? For example, I have just finished moving my wife from an old WinXP machine to a new Win8.1 laptop and now I see Word files for example down below "This PC" and also in a sub-folder on the C: drive. Are they probably the same files or is "This PC" a different physical location?
    This may be a "Libraries" issue, in which case the files showing in "This PC" are probably only links to the actual files in the sub-folder. I have "Libraries" disabled on my PC. Perhaps someone will chime in with more practice in Libraries.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think This PC Folders are just like system shortcuts; if you check their properties, their actual locations are under c:/users/.

You can remove them, by editing the registry: How to Remove the “Folders” From My Computer in Windows 8.1

Or add/remove folders there by using a utility: Add Folders & Items to This PC folder in Windows 8.1

Bruce

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll look at it more closely when my wife lets me have access to the laptop again.

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    If you navigate to a folder in File Viewer (was windows viewer), then click in the window showing the folder details at the top (make sure you select the text) it will show the real location of whatever it is you're looking at. For example, my Libraries > Documents > Football stats, is really F:\Username\Documents\Football Stats. Note that I've moved my libraries to a separate partition, if you haven't done this, it would be more like C:\Username\Documents\Football Stats (or similar).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for pointing that out. I am getting used to having two detail windows on the right (in xlorer2) and I'm learning to look at the address line you mentioned above each details windows. It is making more sense to me now!.

Thanks,
    Bill