5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WinXP to Win8.1 using Windows Easy Transfer

I have read a very detailed article:
    (http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...-to-windows-8/)
    about using Windows Easy Transfer to make the transfer. It explains that one of the options is to transfer over the network. However, when I open Windows Easy Transfer in Win8.1 and begin it does not list the over-the-network choice (see attached image)!

Both computers are on my home network and are communicating with the internet fine. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong or is there a better tutorial somewhere?

Thanks,
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 1,070 Posts
    It seems the network option is not available on Windows 8.1. Seems you may have to use a disk or flash drive as the storage media for the data exported from the XP running computer.

Another possibility is to use this tool: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/en-...your-data.aspx
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I really wish I had a more useful answer, but;

Windows Easy Transfer is weakened in Windows 8.1

Another program that’s been around for decades, Windows Easy Transfer seems to be on its way out in Windows 8.1. Windows Easy Transfer provided an easy way to move your files from your old computer to your new one by connecting an Easy Transfer Cable, a portable hard drive, or providing a network location.

Windows 8.1 accepts Windows Easy Transfer files stored on a portable drive, but it doesn’t support the Easy Transfer Cable or the network location. And the Windows 8.1 version of Windows Easy Transfer can import only old files; it can’t export files to another PC.

The 11 Biggest Changes in Windows 8.1

(In just how many ways can Microsoft shoot itself in the foot while trying to encourage people to move from XP?)

However, on the new PC you only have to direct the WET program to an Easy Transfer File (*.mig); so there may be a workaround?

Bruce

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Another possibility is to use this tool: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/en-...your-data.aspx
    I guess the new free Laplink program from MS must be the reason why Windows Easy Transfer was downgraded in Windows 8.1?

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I guess the new free Laplink program from MS must be the reason why Windows Easy Transfer was downgraded in Windows 8.1?

Bruce
    I don't know, Bruce, but I have to agree with you that weakening WET doesn't make sense. The end result is always making users's lives harder.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. I have been trying to use the Laplink/PCmover program for the last hour or two but with no success! It gets so far and then complains that the versions on the two PCs are different and I haven't found any way to detect version numbers much less select the right one. However, after re-reading these messages I see that you suggested a link to the Microsoft web site and I expect that I was installing from the laplink web site so I'll go back and download from Microsoft and maybe that combination will work.

Do you know if I'll be able to select which files to transfer? I haven't gotten far enough to tell that yet.

Thanks,
    Bill

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    Do you know if I'll be able to select which files to transfer? I haven't gotten far enough to tell that yet.
    That's what the link in post #2 says:

You can easily transfer all or selected folders, user profiles, and settings from your old Windows XP computer to your new PC

Bruce

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought I would summerize the end result of this process -- it ended several days ago but I'm just now getting time to write this. I finally had to just manually copy each folder or file I wanted to transfer onto a USB thumb drive which I discovered was large enough for this transfer. That manual transfer went pretty well but it took a lot of time to pick out everything. We are finally operating successfully on the new computer.

Thanks for your help.
    Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    @Bill,

Too bad you had to do it manually. But at least it is done now. Thanks for posting back.

Joe