New Lounger
    Thanks

Replacement for Windows 2014

Does anyone have information of how good R4W 2014.3 replacement for windows or replacement for windows 6.4, all from On-Disk.com. These programs are to help get rid of Windows like XP have an updated O/S on the computer. Thank ChefRobert

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It looks to me like a version of Linux. The main issue for some folks is there may not be Linux drivers for things like printers, scanners, etc. If a LiveCD or LiveDVD is offered try it, it's bootable and you can check whether it will work with your hardware, most versions I've tried are pretty good but there's still a learning curve just as there is when moving from WinXP to a later version.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I used to have a HP scanner - large, efficient thing, including a very good negative scanner.
    Going from Windows NT to XP caused me to discontinue using that device - no drivers for it in the new OS.
    I didn't dump it until some time later, and at some point I tried to connect it to an PC running a Red Hat - maybe - or an early Ubuntu. It worked without my getting new drivers or hacking anything.
    Also, when I today connect a new device to a Linuxbox, it usually always works without need for any further attention!
    I know Linux had it's issues with more exotic HW in the old days, but now I think you have to be in a bad spot of luck if your devices don't work on a modern Linux distribution. So my advice is:
    TRY it! If one distro does give you problems - just try another one.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My experience with Linux has been just the opposite.

I believe most of the new versions have trouble with my nVidia video hardware. The system will freeze up and then the display looks like an old TV set with horizontal hold issues. I have seen this with several distros.

Also I cannot get my new multi-function scanner-printer to work even with the driver file provided by the manufacturer. It will not install properly.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nate01pa View Post
    My experience with Linux has been just the opposite.

I believe most of the new versions have trouble with my nVidia video hardware. The system will freeze up and then the display looks like an old TV set with horizontal hold issues. I have seen this with several distros.

Also I cannot get my new multi-function scanner-printer to work even with the driver file provided by the manufacturer. It will not install properly.
    If you've gone from an OEM install to Linux and the Nvidia drivers were OEM modified, that could be the reason for the freeze.