5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Diagnosing a computer's power-state troubles

LANGALIST PLUS

Diagnosing a computer's power-state troubles

By Fred Langa

When a PC won't restart, suspend, sleep, or hibernate properly, how to find and fix what's wrong. Plus: Understanding the system-folder name changes between Win XP and Win7/8, and using an Android .iso to boot and run your entire PC.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/diagnosing-a-computers-power-state-troubles/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2014-04-09 at 21:13.

Thanks
    Sleep ACPI Issues --

In my Toshiba Satellite laptop, there was a series of BIOS and Driver Updates related to Sleep issues. Sony has had a rough history with these issues as well. Check for a BIOS or Driver Update for ACPI for your specific model at the Sony Vaio web site. There may be something. With the Windows 8.1.1 update, new drivers or a new BIOS version may be upcoming, but not yet available.

Android for PC --

I don't recommend it. Android as currently implemented, is very touch-centric. (More so than Win 8.) It just doesn't have drivers or an interface which lend themselves to desktop use. Even the upcoming 64-bit Android on Intel is not for traditional desktop or laptop users. Linux is so similar in footprint and functionality, that this is the non-MS solution I recommend to those who are intermediate to advanced home users. For novices or those who don't want to fuss around, go for Apple (Mac) as the non-MS alternative.

Ubuntu Free Disk --

One per customer per lifetime. They object strenuously if you "double-dip". Buy (cheap) disks for all your Ubuntu install and upgrade needs at OSDisc . That's where I get mine. (https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/ubuntu)
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2014-04-14 at 12:53.
    -- Bob Primak --