Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lounge Ranger View Post
    "If malware is the culprit, this is when they would reimage the disk. Otherwise, simpler repairs are often possible and take less time."

Not in my experience, although YMMV. If a PC in a network has been compromised by malware, it's probably spread throughout the network by the time the user makes the call. IT will want to analyze that computer to see what they're dealing with (again, this is only my experience.) Re-imaging the infected machine won't help IT identify or eradicate the virus that is running rampant through their network.

Believe me, I've tried the repair disc method. Couldn't get enough of 'em, and the more repair utilities the better. It takes time to figure out which repair to try, run the diagnostics, cross your fingers and hope it works, otherwise on to something else, and all the while taking the risk that you'll only make things worse and end up having to do a wipe and re-install.

Now, unless I'm very sure I know what needs to be fixed and I have the proper tool at hand and I'm sure I know how to use it - which is often not the case - I sit back and enjoy a nice cup of Darjeeling while Macrium Reflect makes my troubles go away.

If, on the other hand, you're someone who enjoys all the technical details - and what's wrong with that? - and you've got the time to spend, a good repair disc with lots of utilities is the way to go.
    You posted "reimage". I think you mean "image". Reimaging means wiping the drive and restoring a previously made image. That's the dictionary meaning of the term. Imaging is the term for making the clean image to which reimaging will return the drive.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Didn't XP just become abandonware?

(The Dutch and UK governments would probably disagree for another year.)

Bruce
    End of Life or end of support does not mean end of intellectual property rights. The licenses may expire, but the patents, trademarks and copyrights live on forever in the US. Don't know about Euro-Zone.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidFB View Post
    Interesting point that was not highlighted - Windows 8.1 doesn't offer to make optical disc recovery tools. Perhaps due to the number of discs required and the price of USB drives. Not to mention that many touch devices don't have optical drives.

A great medium for long term storage but I wonder if this is the beginning of them becoming an external option.
    Optical Drives and their disks are becoming less and less common, like Floppy Disks and drives a few years ago, or VHS Tapes and now DVDs over the past few years.

Windows 8 is directing folks down the road Tablet users have gone for years. The device Restores or Resets instead of being reimaged from backup media. At least for System and App recovery, this seems to be the preferred route these days. Data get the Cloud Backup treatment.

Yes, the days of hold it in your hand recovery media may be going the way of Analog TV.

The USB option seems to be the closest we will have to the Install or Recovery DVDs. Drivers will have to be downloaded for each system restore, I guess.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pglowiak View Post
    Fred, when I downloaded the repair software from Ultimate Boot CD, it was loaded with spyware (over 200 hits from Malawarebytes). I have not seen an infection like that in years, and that was someone else's computer.

Just FYI!
    False Positives. Note that it's not a definite Malwarebytes warning that these are infections. It's a probability from their heuristics or a declaration of "PUP" -- which means potentially unwanted programs. Nir Sofer's utilities (also not malware) get the same warnings from MBAM. MBAM is a great program, but they do flag stuff which is (in good hands) not only safe, but useful in recovering a sick computer.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudoid View Post
    As DavidFB already mentioned "Windows 8.1 no longer supports being able to create a system repair disc CD/DVD" and the check box in FredLanga article, for making a CD/DVD is now permanently disabled (grayed out). I had made a copy of Windows8Pro(32bit) SystemRepairDisc in May of 2013, which is to be used with a previously created SystemRecoveryImage/Backup that is in one of my externally connected USB HDDs. Since my system has been upgraded to Win8.1, I don't think this SystemRepairDisc will be of any use to me.
    While I was going thru some of the recovery CDs/DVDs I have accumulated over the years, it turns out that I have:
    *An older UltimateBootDiskV5.11 of 2011 vintage
    *An older Paragon HardDiskManagerPro V10 of 2012 vintage
    *An older Hiren's BootCD V15.1 of 2012 vintage
    *An older Active@ BootDisk V8 of 2013 vintage
    But these disks (and many older versions) have been mostly used to repair other people's problematic computers.
    For my own personal/family systems, I rely wholly on the Acronis TrueImage software that I have paid dearly (out the nose) for all these years.
    I have been reading WindowsSecrets active discusssions on and about File History and Recovery options but for some reason, I continue to utilize Acronis TrueImage as a proven solution that has saved my bacon too many times. Since the introduction of the 2014 version of Acronis TrueImage I have been debating whether to upgrade. In the interim, I have even tried some of the FREEware solutions like the Macrium Reflect and TRIALware Paragon imaging solutions. Yet just yesterday, I completed my Acronis TrueImage backup that I do every 3 months. It turns out that Seagate (and possibly WesternDigital???) provides a slimmed-down version of AcronisTrueImage V2013 for owners of their HDDs.
    Macrium Reflect Free with the WinPE download makes a Boot Disk which has a lot of the program's features fully implemented. I have booted dead PCs with it several times and restored them from USB Hard Drive Reflect Images. The resulting restorations have never failed to boot, even on my dual-boot laptop. If the Partition Tables need to be cleaned up, gParted on a Linux Boot CD does the job nicely. Or just go over to my installed Ubuntu Partition and do it from there.

The trickiest part was getting UEFI Boot to let me into my BIOS to change the Boot Order.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2014-04-13 at 10:41.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pglowiak View Post
    I was surprised no one mentioned Bart PE. I haven't need to make one of his recovery discs for a long time.
    It appears from his website that the project is no longer being maintained. There is no discs past XP.

I have used a Linux recovery disc, and that seemed to be a great solution. I'm sure there are others, but watch what you are downloading! See my post above!
    BartPE is for Win XP. WinPE is for Win Vista/7/8. WinPE 5 is explicitly made for Windows 8 64 bits. The Macrium REflect Recovery CD is based on WinPE 4 or 5 these days. The download is actually from Microsoft, but it happens through the Reflect Program while you are within Windows. WinPE can only be obtained from Microsoft. (Even Macrium Reflect redirects the download to Microsoft.) The only direct download is the massive WAIK ISO. From that you would have to use a program which extracts the WinPE files for use on a Boot CD. Best to leave that heavy lifting to someone else; hence my use of Macrium Reflect Boot CDs.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2014-04-13 at 10:42.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    End of Life or end of support does not mean end of intellectual property rights.
    That was the reason for the smiley with a wink after "abandonware". Sorry if that was too subtle for you.

The link I provided states, "Those who do not own a copyright cannot merely claim the copyright abandoned"

The licenses may expire,
    Windows licenses do not have an expiration date.

but the patents, trademarks and copyrights live on forever in the US.
    Patents and copyrights do not live forever, even in the US:

Term of patent in the United States

List of countries' copyright lengths

Don't know about Euro-Zone
    I only mentioned NL and UK governments because they're still paying (a lot) for XP (support).

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-04-13 at 12:00.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Based on the writeup, I actually purchased Neosmart's version to use on my Win 8.1 main system, which has a SSD boot disk, two other internal SATA drives, and a USB3.0 external drive.

After it boots, it tells me that I don't have any harddrives. I tested in on my wife's non-SSD desktop an dit works fine there.. The company does NOT reply to support emails.

IF you have a modern system, don't bother with this waste of $40.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    WinPE 5 is explicitly made for Windows 8 64 bits.
    WinPE 5 supports Windows 7 and has a 32-bit version:

What's New in Windows PE

Windows PE 5.0

Bruce

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

bobprimak (2014-04-14)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    WinPE 5 supports Windows 7 and has a 32-bit version:

What's New in Windows PE

Windows PE 5.0

Bruce
    I didn't mean WinPE 5 won't run on 32-bits or on Win 7. Only that the program is optimized for Win 8. The interface for example,is pure Win 8.

Thanks for the clarification.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Does each system need its own windows repair disk because it contains files specific to that system and its hardware and software or will one repair disk work for for all systems that share the same OS as the system where the repair disk was made?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by massey4 View Post
    Does each system need its own windows repair disk because it contains files specific to that system and its hardware and software or will one repair disk work for for all systems that share the same OS as the system where the repair disk was made?
    Yes, each system can have unique System Driver Files, among other unique system-level files.

Update: I misread. I was replying here to Recovery Disks, not Repair Disks. Sorry.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2014-04-19 at 12:12.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Like some others mentioned here, I purchased NeoSmart Technologies' Easy Recovery Essentials..on Fred's recommendation (not blaming Fred!)..................what a waste of $40 and over 5 days....they are real bad with email answers, average 2 days and they refuse to refund any money......caveat emptor. DO NOT BUY.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, I'm on Windows 7. I found the place to create a repair disk but when I click "Create a Disk" a pop up window says "System Repair Disk could not be created. The Parameter is incorrect (0x80070057). Any ideas what this means?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnc72 View Post
    Hi, I'm on Windows 7. I found the place to create a repair disk but when I click "Create a Disk" a pop up window says "System Repair Disk could not be created. The Parameter is incorrect (0x80070057). Any ideas what this means?
    Here is a thread that discusses the issue.

It could also be a permissions issue. Here is a posting I made quite a long time ago:

I had the 0x80070057 error, too. I just got the SP1 update and still got the error. I thought it was an access issue but even using my default administrator account made no difference. This is the account that Windows 7 forces you to create upon installation or first use. The solution for me was to activate the hidden (also called "built-in") Administrator account. Log on to that account and I could create both a repair CDROM and repair DVD. Go back to my default administrator account and I get the old error message. Note that switching users from your regular account to the Administrator acccount does not work. You must initially log on as Administrator. For information on activating the hidden Administrator account, see (among many sites) http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-disable.html Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, SP1

Most recently, I had the same problem due to an installation of Acronis backup software. I had long ago uninstalled it but the uninstall routine (even using Revo Uninstaller) left a registry parameter that prevented Windows backup and repair disk functions from working. Fixing it was not very easy. Afterwards, all is working correctly. I have to run as an admin, but not using the hidden Administrator account described above. Best not to activate that account if you don't need to.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast