Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Yes, each system can have unique System Driver Files, among other unique system-level files.
    And yet, according to Fred in Part 2, a Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation DVD (burned from an ISO download) can be used as a repair disc for ANY Windows 8 edition/version.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently purchased a Dell XPS with 8.1 (HOME). I made a recovery USB disk with no problem. Today I upgraded to 8.1 PRO and I can no longer create a new recovery disk. The "Copy" check box screen is enabled but the following screen, the one that warns me to have an eight GB or greater drive, displays with the Next button grayed out. Is this because of the upgrade? Is there a way to create a new recovery partition on the OS drive?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    And yet, according to Fred in Part 2, a Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation DVD (burned from an ISO download) can be used as a repair disc for ANY Windows 8 edition/version.

Bruce
    Actually, this is not inconsistent. Windows 8, and 8.1 have changed the entire game in doing restorations and repairs, as I am sure you are well aware. Under Windows 7 and earliier, you had to create Restore Disks which were often manufacturer-specific. Under Windows 8/8.1 the claim has been made (though I cannot personally verify this) that any Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation Disk can be used to repair any Windows 8/8.1 system.

I also think the article may have been only addressing making very general Windows repairs. What some folks in this thread may be concerned about, is whether you can fully reinstall a complete, functioning system from the repair disks. The term recovery disk (which does have to include system drivers) is not the same as the term repair disk (which does not need to include system drivers), as we all shold be aware.

So if the post I was replying to said repair disks, no, these are not system-specific. If the post said recovery disks, these could well be unique to the system.

No, for repair disks, you do not need to make a different copy per each computer or device. Yes, for recovery disks, you do need the correct set for your specific computer or device.

I hope this makes the distinction and requirements clear. If I posted otherwise or was unclear as to which disks I was referring to, I apologize to the person to whose post I was replying.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot, RandySea. The thread you sent me to held the answer. In Googleing this I had run across mention of "dismounting TruCrypt" but had not idea what that meant until this thread explained it simply meant turning off Sugarsync. Problem solved.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Optical media (CDs/DVDs) are referred to as discs (Compact Disc, Digital Video/Versatile Disc), the screenshots of dialog boxes even confirm this, but the article writer incorrectly uses disk (especially poignant that the dialog boxes in screen shots use the conventional 'disc'). Disk tends to refer to magnetic media (hard disks, legacy floppy diskettes [typically shortened to floppy disk], etc.) by convention.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I really appreciated Fred's articles on Windows Repair Disks but was disappointed that he didn't recommend a way to create a repair image on a USB flash drive. And I thought I found some good article On getting ISO file on USB ( http://www.techradar.com/us/news/sof...b-stick-984726 ) but it links to the Neosmart page which I found very confusing and no direct reference to a solution for USB drives.
    I was trying to find a way to do this myself ( e.g., get ISO file and burn it to USB) but again too many questionable sites with bogus/questionable download links. Anyway, at this point, I am willing to pay $20 or whatever for a commercial solution, so a good link to how to get the ISO file and burn software for the USB will be appreciated. Thanks ....

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,
    Even though I've made recovery discs that Vista allows me to make, I thought it would be a nice exercise to make the Emergency Recovery Disc that your recent column in WS recommended.

I went through all the steps including learning how to "take ownership" of a file/folder, etc. and download and replace the recdisc.exe on my computer.

When I got all the way through to the point of actually making the disc, I started recdisc.exe only to find that Installation Discs were required to use the program. My computer is an HP which had NO installation discs included. As I stated I have the recovery discs that Windows allows you to make once but no installation discs. It may be that I could get installations discs from HP, but maybe not I haven't asked. However at this point I am dead in the water with respect to making the Emergency Recovery Disc recommended in your column. Not even the Vista Support Forum's admin and chief guru could help me past this point.

Having said all that I've learned quite a lot about my computer as a result of the exercise.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234