Star Lounger
    Thanks

Possible for Mac to connect to Windows server drive?

I am working on a proposal that may involve setting up a Windows Server for remote app publishing of a Windows software package that I sell. However, this is a Macintosh shop. They tried the software using BootCamp and liked it but they also have some widely dispersed users who may need to share the database. I'm suggesting that they set up a server (they have none at this point) to share my application, but also use the server as central storage for the regular Mac software. Is this easy, needs the right setup or impossible / not recommended? Thanks!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    See if this is of any assistance:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10780

Jerry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

imjcarls (2014-08-19)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use a WDC NAS/Network Attached Storage drive plugged into my Router, my Windows, Linux and Mac OS X computers can access the files on it such as .jpg, .mp3, .htm/.html and Microsoft Office even though it's formatted as NTFS. My Mac can't directly access an NTFS drive and the software I've found for doing it doesn't want to work correctly, no problem with a FAT32 USB HDD. I do have Office 2011 on the Mac.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In addition to the Apple support article above, I always purchase and install the Paragon NTFS drivers on my Macs. This gives me full read/write capability on all NTFS formatted media. http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/ $19.95, sometimes bundled with other utilities for a better buy.

Have used for years and never had a corruption issue. They make an HFS+ driver for Windows to access Mac HFS-formatted media; this also has worked well for me.

Disclaimer--only connection is as a satisfied customer. These are commercial products; there may be free/open products but I'm not aware.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, it’s completely possible. I have several clients who have Macs interacting with files on Windows servers. Jerry’s link is a great start. Once you access a Windows share from a Mac, it doesn’t matter what format the Windows drive is using, Windows will read the drive and serve up the content to the Mac. Niceoldguy’s comment about the Paragon drivers is also spot-on, and I use them as well. However, you wouldn’t need those drivers for accessing shared files on a Windows server, only if you want to read other format drives directly (USB or NAS).

Chip