Star Lounger
    Thanks

Restart Problems - Win7 Pro - 64Bit

Have a very strange problem with my Windows box restarting which is highly annoying as it prevents me from restarting my machine remotely via LogMeIn Pro as I won't have access after a restart.

I'll try to explain the problem as thoroughly as possible below.

Machine Specs;
    • Windows 7 Professional SP1 64Bit - Fully patched with Security Updates
    • Mainboard Model: Intel Corp DH67DL AG10212-208
    • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
    • Intel 240GB SSD System Drive
    • 2 x 2TB SSD Drives
    • No RAID
    • 16GB RAM

Detailed problem description;
    I'm not sure when this started as the machine has always been extremely stable but whenever I do a re-start by clicking the Start ORB and selecting Restart, the following occurs;

- Machine Posts ok and then I get the "Starting Windows" screen but nothing happens. It will just sit there for hours until I power down and back on or press the Restart button on the front of the machine

- On reboot, I have two options. Launch Startup Repair (Recommended) or Start Windows Normally. My USB Keyboard is inactive at this point so I am unable to select the latter. After 30 seconds, the screen times out and the Startup Repair launches automatically.

- Startup repair runs with the standard message of "Startup repair is checking your system for problems" - I get the option to restore my computer using System Restore which I've tried without success so on subsequent attempts I've just clicked "Cancel" after which the scan continues for a few minutes "Attempting repairs"

- After the scan, I get a message that "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically. I have two options at this point - "Send information about this problem to Microsoft (Recommended)" which past experience with other problems has taught me is totally pointless, or "Don't Send" which is what I now click.

- If I click "View Problem Details" on the last step above, the following is listed;
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Problem Signature:
    Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
    Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem Signature 03: unknown
    Problem Signature 04: 93
    Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
    Problem Signature 06: 1
    Problem Signature 07: NoBootCause
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Link to Online Microsoft Privacy Statement here..
    Link to Offline Microsoft Privacy Statement here..
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

I then click the "Finish" button and the machine restarts again, only this time, Windows 7 loads without any issues.

This behaviour happens every single time I need to restart the machine.

Things I've checked / done to try and resolve the restarting problem..

- Checked Event Viewer Windows Logs for errors in both the "Application" and "System" categories and no errors or warnings show up

- Run ChkDsk on the System Drive and no problems are found

- Run Ccleaner Professional on the registry and corrected any errors it found as well as cleared all Temporary files - no joy from this

- Ran Autoruns v11.70 for Windows from Sysinternals to check for any startup entries I didn't recognise and all looks perfectly correct to me

I've not installed any new software packages over the last few months.

I've now run out of ideas as to what to try next or where to look.

Can anyone shed some light or make any suggestions as to how to go about resolving this without having to format out my Windows install? The machine is my main Admin box and is in all other respects, fast and completely stable. It's not uncommon for me to leave the machine without a restart for weeks and I have no problems with it.

My main issue is that as I frequently log into the box with LogMeIn Pro, if I ever need to restart the box after an install of Windows updates or another software package, I'll lose access because the machine won't re-boot into Windows without having the Hard Restart Button pressed and given that it's a 45 kilometre or more drive, it's just no practical.

Any help / tips / suggestions would be gratefully received.

Cheers..

Andy

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Further to the above, I've just discovered that if I power the machine down rather than "Start Orb > Restart", then it will always boot up without issue.

The problem only occurs if the machine is rebooted via Start Orb > Restart. It does this consistently, every single time without fail.

I've also tried turning on "Msconfig > Boot > Boot Log" and doing two restarts, one by restarting from Windows, one by powering down and switching on. I saved the log from both attempts and so far as I can see, they're identical and give no hint as to why the machine hangs when it's restarted and not when it's powered off and then powered back on again.

Finally, I tried (via Msconfig > Boot > Safe Boot) to boot into Safe mode and have the exact same issue if the machine is restarted rather than powered down and powered back on again.

This is quite bizarre and certainly something I've never struck before.

Hopefully someone who has struck a similar issue before can offer a few pointers.

Cheers..

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why not contact MS tech support direct http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/

Thanks
    - On reboot, I have two options. Launch Startup Repair (Recommended) or Start Windows Normally. My USB Keyboard is inactive at this point so I am unable to select the latter. After 30 seconds, the screen times out and the Startup Repair launches automatically.
    If you go into Bios, there should be a setting that enables USB Legacy mode. This should allow your USB keyboard to function before boot completion.

Jerry

Thanks
    Try a clean boot and then a restart. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    If you go into Bios, there should be a setting that enables USB Legacy mode. This should allow your USB keyboard to function before boot completion.
    Hi Jerry.. Thanks for that but I found the problem was that I had the keyboard plugged into a USB 2.0 powered Hub rather than directly into the computers two "Top" USB ports in the back of the machine. This has now allowed me to use the USB keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Try a clean boot and then a restart. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Jerry
    Thanks Jerry, but I've already tried that but no joy as the same thing happens

Any other ideas? Anyone?

Best..

Andy