New Lounger
    Thanks

Wanting to add Wifi to existing Internet connection

I am helping a friend to add Wifi. They have a UBEE router/modem that is configured with a static IP address currently and it's working. I would like to add Wifi to this setup. Is that possible and if so, how? They do have a wireless Netgear router that they bought hoping they could use that for Wifi. I don't have model numbers at this point. They do have Windows 7.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Depends on the WiFi router model, but the answer is still yes. If you can get the model numbers of both routers we will advise.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is the information.

The cable modem/router is a Ubee U10C038.

The wireless router is a Netgear N680 wireless dual band router WNDR34v3 (I think this should be WNDR3400 v3 in looking at the website).

Thanks for your help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    These are standard routers and as such you have to use one as the main router and the other as a repeater / WAP, unless you want a really complex network.
    You should be able to set up the Netgear as a repeater / Wireless Access Point by connecting one of the LAN ports to a LAN port on the Ubee, assigning a static IP to the Netgear and turning off the DHCP server on the Netgear.

I would start by setting up the Netgear.
    1. Disconnect a computer from the LAN and plug it into a LAN port on the Netgear.
    2. Re-boot the computer and then connect to the Netgear router via www.routerlogin.net
    3. Turn off the router DHCP server.
    4. Change the router IP address to something suitable like 192.168.0.155. I'm assuming your Ubee is a standard config, if not you'll need to find the IP range the Ubee uses by viewing the IP address of a computer connected to the Ubee.
    5. Save the changes.

Now you can connect everything to the Ubee, reboot your computer and test that you can access the Netgear on 192.168.0.155. If all is well you should be able to connect wirelessly.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Paul. I'll let you know when I can make the arrangements to get back over to their place.

The Ubee is used for a business and does not have the standard config. Can't recall what it was now. Seems something like 69.80.8.2. And by range, you mean the first three octets is the range and then I can assign any number to the last octet that isn't being used?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep!

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hopefully a few more questions before I make any changes. I should be heading to there place tomorrow. When you say "test that you can access the Netgear on 192.168.0.155", I know it isn't that address, but how do test that? Is that putting in the address I assign in the browser? And is that so I can set up the wireless SSID and passphrase?

Thanks again,

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, put the address you have assigned to the router into your browser. This confirms that the router is connected to the LAN - won't work otherwise. It also allows you to change the router config if you need to - you can use the existing SSID and passphrase if you want.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, after numerous attempts, I finally got the IP address to confirm that the computer is connected to the LAN(I get the set up page). What I was missing initially was not putting the Netgear router in AP mode. What I can't get now, is the Internet to work through wireless. The Netgear Genie setup shows no Internet connectivity. I won't be able to make it back over there until next weekend now, but that should give me and us more time to figure this out. Is this something you can help me with? I'll keep searching for answer.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Netgear Genie makes assumptions about the set up and may never show internet connectivity in your configuration.
    Have you set the default gateway in the router to the address of the cable router?
    Do wireless devices receive an IP address? If so they should then have internet access.

I suggest you load Team Viewer on your PC and your friend's, then you can check the config at a distance.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Paul. I thought the default gateway is the same, but will have to double check. And no, wireless devices do not receive an IP address. Thanks for what you have done. I'll try the Team Viewer idea too.