New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows 8.1 & Netflix (Metro) App

Microsoft produced the Netflix app for windows 8/8.1. it can be downloaded from the Windows store. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 2, 64-bit, 8 GB, 256 GB SSD. The Netflix app will install correctly. I can login to my Netflix account but then when I want to run a movie, Netflix will load the movie and then display an error message -- W8156 - C0262500.this exact same error has been he produced on a second Microsoft Surface Pro 2 machine in a different Wi-Fi environment.

the error page contains information about the error and provides a phone number into Netflix support. After running through the suggested options to get this movie to properly display, the Netflix agent informed me that he has worked through all of the known options and I need to talk to the developer, Microsoft. He provided me a phone number.

I spent nearly 2 hours on the phone with Tier 1 Microsoft support (in the Microsoft surface Pro 2 section). Like the Netflix customer service representative, the Microsoft Tech simply read through options on his script screen. None worked. I then asked to speak to his manager who was much more helpful. However, the net result was that there is no solution. The manager indicated that he believes it is a known issue (possibly involving a recent patch/update affecting the display driver) but did not specifically guarantee that development was working on a fix (this is a two-year old issue with various iterations ). I informed Microsoft that the easiest test they could perform in-house was to borrow one of their Microsoft Surface Pro 2 machines, subscribe to Netflix and to see if they can get a movie to run.

I wonder if any of the lounge members and guests have run into this issue.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Why do you think Microsoft produced the app? The store entry says Published by Netflix, Inc.

Have you seen the user review comment for the Netflix app in the Windows store which says that specific error code means your video card driver does not support decoding DRMed content when Hyper-V is enabled on your machine?

Removing Hyper-V apparently fixes the issue.

It also says that it's not the fault of Netflix or Microsoft but your video card manufacturer (e.g. AMD).

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-04-10 at 09:37.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    yes, Netflix has their name on it, but the tech rep indicated that Microsoft is the developer and the Microsoft customer service manager confirmed that they are indeed the developer of this app.