Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Some computers were coming out with a mix of USB2 and USB3 ports around the time you purchased that machine, have you verified whether it's just the USB2 or 3 ports?
    I believe there were a number of driver issues for USB3 and Win 7.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMac56 For This Useful Post:

bobhist (2014-04-15)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Scaisson, Thank you, but I don't have a wired k/b or mouse, tossed them when I bought this PC. I did run Device Cleanup and it got rid of quite a few ghost drivers. I'm now waiting for the next WUs to test and will report back to you and Sudo15 after. You guys have been of great help.
    Bob
    Everything has its limit--iron ore cannot be educated into gold. (Mark Twain.) (Subject to change by Mr. Twain.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, they're all 2.0. I had the option for the 3.0, but declined.

Funny story: I bought this PC through Best Buy, Dell had to build it for me. When FedEx showed up, they brought TWO machines. I called Dell to return the extra, but they said they couldn't take it back because it wasn't shown as shipped! (Idiots.) I then called Best Buy to return it to them (because I suspected their account had been charged by Dell), but, they too, refused to take it, saying it didn't show as being shipped! (Idiots.) Concerned I would later get into trouble about their mistake, my wife took it to Best Buy, demanded to see the manager, explained the situation, and made him reluctantly sign a receipt saying she had returned it. (He probably took it home!)

Bob
    Everything has its limit--iron ore cannot be educated into gold. (Mark Twain.) (Subject to change by Mr. Twain.)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    May have been a good idea to hang onto the wired k/b and mouse as fall backs as well as to troubleshoot as could be the case.

I just use a Logitech Unifying USB wireless mouse on a laptop, but it has been trouble free.

Having done your part regarding the surplus pc, I would probably have just hung onto it and kept it in its box until/if someone asked for it and if say after a year there weren't any comebacks - treated it as my own.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-04-15 at 16:55.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quite strange problem, borderline beetween software and hardware problem...
    It could be USB card ports energy alimentation or drivers, have you already run a diagnostic software?
    Another advice is try with another clean OS installaion or with Linux to see what happen.
    For drivers you could use this program for check chipset and USB drivers.

I have a gigabyte MB and USB 3.0 ports run only at 2.0 speed but still nver understand why...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suggest a brute force ‘all my trials’ attack for troubleshooting.

There are umpteen driver-analyzer and provider programs (e.g. Driver Manager) on the market that can be downloaded as a trial, and that will analyze your computer ‘for free’. If you want the drivers it claims you need (typically more than you really need) you have to purchase the program (thirty bucks a year), although the driver might be downloaded free from the official source. I suggest you download one or more such trials and see what it claims you need in the USB driver department. If you’re lucky, it will tell you exactly what you need. If not, uninstall it. As you pointed out, it’s consuming a lot of time (equals money and frustration), so if there is a money-back guarantee you might buy it.

For messing with the registry, jv16 is user-friendly and offers a 60-day free trial.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel View Post
    I have a gigabyte MB and USB 3.0 ports run only at 2.0 speed but still nver understand why...
    Have you been to the motherboard support site to see if it needs any chipset, BIOS or other driver update ?

I think on some PCs there's a BIOS setting for Legacy USB - which perhaps could cause a conflict and trying it Enabled/Disabled to see if it makes any difference - but I'm not sure on that.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-04-16 at 15:03.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Out of left field, I assume you have made sure you have any Dell BIOS upgrades implemented? It doesn't appear to be a BIOS problem, but I would check. Given how much time you have said you have spent on this, and that your time must be worth something, I'd almost say it would be worth it to dump the machine and buy a new one. So very sorry about this. I had a lot of problems with Dell laptops myself, mainly bad displays, and finally gave up on them, and went to Lenovo. My Dell desktop I use for video editing though has been very stable. No USB problems at all for over two years. I'm also running Windows 7 64, but the Ultimate version.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Have you been to the motherboard support site to see if it needs any chipset, BIOS or other driver update ?

I think on some PCs there's a BIOS setting for Legacy USB - which perhaps could cause a conflict and trying it Enabled/Disabled to see if it makes any difference - but I'm not sure on that.
    I tried 2/3 different drivers, even on manufacturer website (different from Gigabyte) but nothing happen...
    it is one of the first 3.0 cards onboard about 3 years ago, but is ot a big problem.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried 2/3 different drivers, even on manufacturer website (different from Gigabyte) but nothing happen...
    it is one of the first 3.0 cards onboard about 3 years ago, but is ot a big problem.
    As they've never run at USB 3.0 speeds, perhaps the card was/is defective ?

Did you download the chipset for the motherboard first as that (from a Google) contains the USB 3.0 Host Controller unless it was a real early one where you did need separate drivers.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-04-17 at 18:10.

Thanks
    No one seems to have locked on to it occurring after a Windows update. That's where I'd start in diagnosing the problem. That suspicion is further supported by it also occurring after a Windows imaging and that you are using a 'unifying' dongle. Is the key and its subkeys referred to above ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}) exactly the same after a Windows update as before? I'm no expert on USB problems, but I'd also check other places in the registry where drive & device IDs and drive letter assignments are located. SysInfo would be quicker and simpler as the first place to look, but may not show you what you need. If any of those are where the corruption is happening, a dirty solution would be to have an exported copy of that key saved and then imported as needed. I'm not so sure what a permanent solution would be if, in fact, this is where the problem lies at all.
    Last edited by MRCS; 2014-04-18 at 05:20.

Lounger
    Thanks
    MRCS: The OP stated, "since my PC was new" so I don't think that it was an applied update, other than the standard SP1 build. He also stated, "Thanks, they're all 2.0. I had the option for the 3.0, but declined. "

Given that Dell has sent out service techs and it does not appear to be a widely known problem, it's probably a single machine part problem. Since the OP and Dell and us have spent hundreds of hours on this, my suggestion is to simply buy a new machine. Also, people keep mentioning USB 3.0 when the OP has stated that it's a USB 2.0 problem. Folks can keep churning on this, but even a casual search of Google on this shows that USB chipset driver issues have been problematic on many machines other than Dell and that for some reason the drivers don't continue to work on this one. I'd cut my losses. New machines with 3.0 USB which is really worth having are dirt cheap, unless you are buying for a high end system.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    As they've never run at USB 3.0 speeds, perhaps the card was/is defective ?

Did you download the chipset for the motherboard first as that (from a Google) contains the USB 3.0 Host Controller unless it was a real early one where you did need separate drivers.
    They run at full speed before I reinstall windows 7 on my new samsung 840 SSD, after that I never seen more speed than 2.0. I just tried the drivers on gigabyte website, and after some other find directly from Renesas electrnoics...
    In hardware control panel the name is right, called usb 3.0 host controller, and no yellow mark is signed over.

Thanks
    alf hanna: "so I don't think that it was an applied update"
    I wasn't referring to a particular patch, I was referring to it occurring after each time he used Windows update.
    I know from when I purge trusted files in Comodo that Windows update uses other drives when updating. It may do a lower level scan of the drives and then "helpfully" resetting the configuration. I was also going to ask, but I didn't want my post to be too long, whether he had reassigned any drive letters. In the past I have run into a bit of problem when I had done that.

"it's probably a single machine part problem"
    Well, if that's it, none of our suggestions are going to help. It's just that typically software solutions should be exhausted before buying a new part. It would be a pain to buy a new part and then have the same problem, tho it would eliminate it being a part problem.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    They run at full speed before I reinstall windows 7 on my new samsung 840 SSD, after that I never seen more speed than 2.0. I just tried the drivers on gigabyte website, and after some other find directly from Renesas electrnoics...
    In hardware control panel the name is right, called usb 3.0 host controller, and no yellow mark is signed over.
    From what I'd learned earlier, I suppose it could be a certification problem - what do you reckon to these testing tools http://www.usb.org/developers/tools/

But create a restore point before trying anything out.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-04-18 at 17:16.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Ariel (2014-04-22)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast