Thread: Microsoft Call

3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

Microsoft Call

Was not sure where to put this but I got a call from Microsoft telling me that they were getting a lot of error messages from my computer. It sounded like caller was from India but I shut him down pretty quick by telling him I was not interested. My PC is running fine.

Anybody else getting this type of call, I've had Windows forever and I have never received a call from Microsoft.

Thanks
    NBB,

It's a scam that's been going around for a couple of years now. MS wouldn't know if any errors they got via the customer participation program came from not to mention have your phone number. Just hang up on anyone calling you with this type of info. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Not Brightest Bulb (2014-04-10)

3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek

Thank you I thought I had heard about this stuff but just was not sure. But I never give info etc to anybody that calls cause that's pretty much a no-brainer program that even the "bulb" knows enough not to jump on.

It is so cool to have "Windows Secrets" as a backup program. Has not failed me yet.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft will never call you. They don't know who you are and don't have your phone no. As RetiredGeek says, it's a scam.

If you had gone along with it then the 'Microsoft' caller would have offered to help fix your PC and talked you into using something like TeamViewer to take remote control of your PC. Next, it's likely that he would have disabled any antimalware protection you had and very probably encrypted your data... which he would then have offered to undo for a hefty fee.

I've just had this happen to a customer of mine. By the time he thought to put the phone down and switch off his PC it was too late for me to be able to recover his encrypted data.

You did the right thing by shutting the caller down quickly. Do a Google search for "microsoft called me" for more details of this scam.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-04-10 at 18:05.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Not Brightest Bulb (2014-04-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same sort of call this week from "Iolo support" (System Mechanic) using the same error message theme. I played along for a few minutes - he had me run 'eventvwr' and said all that stuff was attacks on my computer. The more he talked, the less sense he made. I finally told him it was time for supper "goodbye". I then called Iolo and gave them the details off the call and the call display number. They also don't call anyone!
    This guy had the persistence to call back a while later to continue the scam!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Others have already replied as to why this is a scam, but I wanted to post this different way of thinking about it:
    How many billions of people are there in the world? Is Microsoft really going to call "little ol' me"?

Come on people. Let's use our heads a little.

Dick

Thanks
    With all the hype about these calls over the last year or so I am amazed that people still think they are genuine. I have 8 or 9 of these calls and usually like to string them along for the fun of it but when I dont have the time or patience I ask them why would anyone from Microsoft phone me in Sweden and speak English to me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AlanWade For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2014-05-02)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is pretty funny. A guy calls in to Leo Laporte's radio show and tells his story of the "caller from Microsoft".
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Thanks
    Thanks Rick, I got a kick out of that.
    It's been a while since I followed Leo's podcasts. I think I'll get back into it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently subscribed to the youtube channel for MalWareBytes. They have some great educational videos, including this one where they record the ENTIRE process (26 minutes) of the "Microsoft Support call" scam. When the MalWareBytes guy doesn't pay them $299 via PayPal, they trash his computer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDJWixw4TCI
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)