3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DOS required to Format C

I'm fixing an old computer that does not have the A: Floppy disk drive.

What I usually do is use my old Win 3.11 disk 3.5" set, disks 1,2 and 3 to reformat and this leaves me with a plain DOS Version 6 system and supposedly a clean HD.
    It's not a perfect but it gets me going again.

Where can I download some file that does a format C and clean the HD using a CD/DVD disk ?

I cannot copy any of the original Win 3.11 3.5" disks as all my computers now do not have the A Floppy drive, it would be ideal though to copy all the Win 3.11 disk set on to a CD some day.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    XP,

Download EaseUS Partition Master. You can make a bootable CD/USB Key that will allow you to do what you want. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

XPDiHard (2014-04-14)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Any of the Linux distros come on a CD ready to boot. Ubuntu
    Use a recovery / tools CD like Ultimate Boot CD.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

XPDiHard (2014-04-14)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When you say "Clean HD" do you mean one ready to use again or one with all the data removed?

Formatting a hard drive under DOS or with one of the Linux discs does not destroy the data. It just clears the links to the files making the disc appear empty. If you really want the data destroyed, you will need a disc wiping program.

If you want a version of DOS to experiment with, try FreeDOS (www.freedos.org).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nate01pa For This Useful Post:

XPDiHard (2014-04-14)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    nate01pa,
    Not sure of correct terminology,

I would like all the data removed weather it has Linux, MS or any other OS, but not to compromise the basic boot-up, so it can still read a the A: ( if fitted) HD C:, CD, or USB.
    There is no need to save user files or any other program/s if I need to wipe the drive clean.

It had Win XP, someone installed Ubuntu.
    I simply want to rid of all it's previous OS's including Ubuntu.
    I cannot log in to Ubuntu root, it times out, like 3 seconds to type in username and password after pressing F9 or F10, as suggested during a re-boot.

It will boot up to a full Ubuntu desktop.
    Can change user name and passwords etc etc at desktop level but cannot seem to uninstall Ubuntu.

So I thought to use my old DOS/ Win 3.11 floppy disk and do it the old way, but as mentioned this PC has no A: drive.
    I can go get a external USB Floppy drive, but should I have to?

The goal is to try another Linux distro that I can get into Root easier than Ubuntu so I can install a WINE type program to experiment with other things, get online using the internet set up I have which is a USB plug-in stick.
    It requires certain commands at Root to make the internet USB stick work,
    I have those commands to do the job.

Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can boot from CD at boot time so you do not need a floppy.
    If your only problem is lack of root access you can gain that easily from the Ubuntu desktop. Use the "sudo" command in a console to raise your privilege level.

cheers, Paul

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

XPDiHard (2014-04-14)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would like all the data removed weather it has Linux, MS or any other OS, but not to compromise the basic boot-up, so it can still read a the A: ( if fitted) HD C:, CD, or USB.
    There is no need to save user files or any other program/s if I need to wipe the drive clean.

This sounds like you want to clear the drive entirely and then install another Linux distro.

When you say "not compromise the basic bootup" this is determined by BIOS settings. You can read the lead article in today's Windows Secrets for instructions on how to do this.

I think your best course of action is to use a program like GParted which comes on many Linux distros to delete all partitions on your drive, then create a new partition, format it with ext3, and install the new Linux distro on that partition.

When you say "internet USB stick" are you talking about a wireless access device? If you are, make sure that it has a Linux driver or is enabled by the Linux kernel at boot time.