Lounger
    Thanks

Question Microsoft Money replacement

Hi. I currently used Microsoft Money 2002 (MM2002) as my personal finance manager and it works fine on Win 7. However I'm probably going to move to Win 10 when it becomes commercially available and feel that MM2002 probably will not work. I'm told that Microsoft Money Sunset deluxe is a relacement, and I want to have a try at using that. However, various people (colleagues) tell me that if I install Microsoft Money Sunset, then it will uninstall MM2002 first, then again others tell me that Microsoft Money Sunset will run side by side with MM2002. I have never used the online features of MM2002 so will not miss that.

Does anobody have any knowledge of this software that can give me a clear answer. I undestand that I could install Microsoft Money Sunset on a virtual machine, but do not want to go down that line at the moment. Thanks for your time.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Read the Install Instructions here, also has the download:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=20738
    Looks like there could be issues but I didn't read it all.

I found it interesting timing-wise that Intuit rearranged their offerings of Quicken in the stores shortly after the demise of Money.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-10-05 at 10:37.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

hubyster (2014-10-05)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I checked it out, butit now seems that this version will only open US versions of Microsoft Money.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's lots more on the 'net, looks like it would have been best to be on Money 2004 first:
    https://qlc.intuit.com/questions/327...-sunset-deluxe
    https://www.google.com/search?q=micr...25.im5d1CsRkEY

If the only interest in Money was for the checkbook and if using Excel, there is a free check register template available from Microsoft:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...001018651.aspx

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

hubyster (2014-10-05)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For what it's worth, I am running the 'new' Money Sunset on my Win 8.1 laptop, with no problems. I've been using Money since Win 98 days, and I never used the online parts, so the new one is fine for me. If it ever stops working I will be in trouble! I have looked at other programs ( Intuit, etc) and find them ALL seriously lacking. I even checked out some Linux programs. NONE of them are as easy to use and setup as Money! They are not intuitive, either. Accounting was not one of my favorite subjects in college, but I need to track expenses, both for my home accounts and my online business accounts. Money just works, and it's SO simple to use. I don't recall whether it uninstalled my old program, but I had all my data sets backed up and saved, so it was a simple matter to plug them in to the 'new' money. I say, download it, install it and enjoy it. There simply isn't anything out there that is materially better, and the price is certainly right!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IAMPCBOB For This Useful Post:

hubyster (2014-10-09)

Thanks
    [QUOTE=hubyster;969106]

Hi hubyster, I was reading your post and was wondering what was so special about MM2002 that you would want to keep it.

Microsoft applied many bug fixes in the sunset version and it works fine. I'd encourage you to install it and forget about 2002. (never the less they did leave us a few bugs for us to still enjoy)

Remember too that there is still some work being done by Dan Gaier (the chap who wrote the Portfolio Manager and is now out on his own). Automatic stock pricing is now available with his little add on program.
    http://gaiersoftware.com/Money

Have a look at Ameridan's blog. There is still a lot of interest in Money.
    http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpre...-money-quotes/

Good luck.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrisso For This Useful Post:

hubyster (2014-10-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Red face Microsoft Money Replacement

[QUOTE=Berton;969121]There's lots more on the 'net, looks like it would have been best to be on Money 2004 first:

I just did a quick peek on eBay and Microsoft Money 2004 is going for as low as $12. Maybe upgrade to it and then switch to the Sunset version? I have nothing but praise for the Sunset version. I don't recall which one I was using before that, but it sold on eBay for more than $12! I really don't know why MS shot themselves in the foot, with Money being so popular and all. Maybe SOMEONE could buy the rights and reintroduce it, with major updates, etc. Or, maybe, put it out as an Open app for Linux. I have literally NOT found anything else that works as well and as easily, as Money. Period. Whether a FREE program or a bought one. Long ago I used one made by Parsons, but then Intuit bought them out and killed it! That seems to be the nature of software companies these days. I highly recommend switching to the Sundown version and living happily ever after. or until something better happens.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to IAMPCBOB For This Useful Post:

hubyster (2014-10-16)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sunset edition of Money has been working fine on my Windows 7 system for many years - I used many earlier versions. I even have Quicken, set it up and used it for a bit when Money was originally dropped, then went back to Money when they release the Sunset edition with no regrets since.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pcmechanic For This Useful Post:

hubyster (2014-10-16)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How good was the importation of your old files from your prior version?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi @mccornwall. I've not had the courage to try importing yet. I think I need to clean up some the accounts and close off those Ino longer use.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi @Chrisso. MM2002 came preinstalled with my old XP machine. It does everything I need and have had no issues with it. I have downloaded Sunset and I'm going to try and import a couple of accounts at some point.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sunset Works on 8.1, No Problems

Just a quick reply to confirm that MS Money Sunset works on Win 8.1 with no issues. Upgraded on another machine for many years, installed Sunset on new 8.1 laptop and copied the Money file over. No issues.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm sure many folks will be glad to know that. Thanks for posting back. Is your Notebook 32-bit or 64-bit?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm running the Sunset version on Win 8.1 x64 - no problem, works great, imported my old Quicken files just fine.

Thanks

Gaier Software have just released a new version on their MS Money Quotes Software

Chaps,

I just thought I'd let you know that there is a new version of Dan Gaier's program to upload quotes into MSMoney even though Microsoft have stopped providing them (they now have a site in India I believe).

You need to create a Watch-list at FT.COM and download a CSV file. You then run his program and the quotes will be uploaded automatically.

If you are interested, the instructions are here ...... http://gaiersoftware.com/Money/FTQuotes

A bit of the background is available here .....http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpre...-money-quotes/

I can vouch that it works perfectly (here in Aust.) and it is virus free.

Cheers

Chrisso