New Lounger
    Thanks

MS Office update KB2825635

Amongst the latest group of Microsoft updates on 5-13-2014, is the update KB2825635 for MS Office 2010. I have 2 pcs with MS Office 2007 Enterprise SP3 installed that are receiving this update. One pc has Windows XP SP3, and the other pc has Windows 7 SP1 x64. Since I have MS Office 2007 installed from the same disc on both pcs, why am I getting this update for MS Office 2010? The additional info at MS website only indicated this update was for Office 2010. I have not yet downloaded, nor installed this update. Is this an update that I should block?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    You probably got some Office 2010 component installed with another product. I'd go ahead an install the fix.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The Windows 7 pc was purchased ready for a clean install, which I did using a Win7 Home Premium disc, NO bloatware. I compared installed programs in both pcs. I do not have any out of the ordinary specialty programs that are common with both pcs. So I am curious as to what program product would contain an Office 2010 product. I would think it would have to be something downloaded recently. The only recent downloads are CCleaner (week ago), and Malwarebytes (month ago). The rest is all updates of browsers, Monzilla and IE; Adobe Flash and Reader, Apple Quicktime and itunes, Java; and all Microsoft updates.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed the update with no problems on both pcs. I then viewed the currently installed programs and updates on the XP machine and compared with the installed updates on the Win7 machine. Both pcs listed the update KB2825635 as a "Microsoft Office File Validation Add-In". The XP pc showed a more prominent differentiation of this update with a thumbnail icon different than other updates. I search for the validation term, and was led back to Microsoft. It seems it is a security update that involves older versions of Microsoft Office and using those documents in newer versions of Office. It applies all the way back to Office 97-03 being used in Office 2007 and newer. Here is the link as follows...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2501584
    Thank you JoeP517 for the advice. I do have some old Office 2000 documents that I will use to test this update. With luck, there will be no problems.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aldude56 For This Useful Post:

BarbieGee (2014-05-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldude56 View Post
    I installed the update with no problems on both pcs. I then viewed the currently installed programs and updates on the XP machine and compared with the installed updates on the Win7 machine. Both pcs listed the update KB2825635 as a "Microsoft Office File Validation Add-In". The XP pc showed a more prominent differentiation of this update with a thumbnail icon different than other updates. I search for the validation term, and was led back to Microsoft. It seems it is a security update that involves older versions of Microsoft Office and using those documents in newer versions of Office. It applies all the way back to Office 97-03 being used in Office 2007 and newer. Here is the link as follows...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2501584
    Thank you JoeP517 for the advice. I do have some old Office 2000 documents that I will use to test this update. With luck, there will be no problems.
    Perhaps, I'm having a bad day but I fail to see how KB2825635 relates to KB2501584?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes NZRussell, that same thought had also occurred to me; but it wouldn't be the first time that in searching through Microsoft, that their links lead me to other updates that I question it's relativity, but they are the experts. On occasions, when I search Microsoft for further info, the reply's are as clear as mud. All I am posting is that I originally had a question; I got a reply; I did some additional investigation, and right or wrong, that is what I found. I did try out my old Office 2000 documents, and there were no indications of any problems. So, if anyone finds any error, please provide the correct info so we can all learn from this exercise.