Thread: The competition

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The competition

WordPerfect Office X7 is now out, for those with an interest in tracking the serious competition. The latest version of CorelDRAW also made its appearance recently.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2014-04-11 at 11:32.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I've been using the suite since X4 because they had a "serious" PDF incorporation/production advantage. I don't use Office 2010 or 2013 so I don't know if that gap has been closed but I'm thinking it may have been by now.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Ya, I've been using the suite since X4 because they had a "serious" PDF incorporation/production advantage. I don't use Office 2010 or 2013 so I don't know if that gap has been closed but I'm thinking it may have been by now.
    As far as I know, WP is still miles ahead in PDF features. You might download a trial of Windows Office and do a comparison - I was hoping to hear from someone who is familiar with both, but of course this version of WP is new, and I haven't read any reviews.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    WP is my word processor of choice. I still use version X3 as I am not sure that the new version has features I really need.

I use a doPDF to create PDF files. It is free and works with most applications.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    WPX4 and up is good at OCR as well, as long as the text is straight...a little tilt and it's a big fail so all scanned text should be run by a straitening tool prior to import. It's the two-way all-in-one PDF processing that's more attractive in this case.

Lounger
    Thanks
    For what it's worth, for those of you who "wordprocess" with styles, do they still have 'Reveal Codes" in WordPerfect, you are one step maybe two ahead of the 'GUI-based desktop publishers'.
    I almost had a hernia learning wordprocessing and styles in WordPerfect DOS, but now, with markup like HTML, CSS and the semantic web is much simpler.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just started the trial version, and the one thing that is conspicuous to me is the absence of any mention of the word 'Cloud'. That alone makes this a very attractive alternative, assuming it does turn out to be completely absent.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    PDF incorporation/production advantage. I don't use Office 2010 or 2013 so I don't know if that gap has been closed
    I don't use WP, so I can't tell you either I haven't done any fancy PDF work in Word 2013, but the Open, Edit, Save (As) basics work fine.

OCR is no longer built in via Office Document Imaging, you need Office 2007 for that--but you can still download it separately afaik. 2013 OCR is split between Word and OneNote. Word auto-converts PDFs to DOCs when opening them [apparently the thinking is people want to edit PDFs if they open them in Word, rather than read them], so it 'acquires' any text in images. OneNote has a 'save text ' function if you paste in an image.

I haven't used any of this enough to comment with authority, but such as it is seems to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by dried_squid View Post
    'Reveal Codes" in WordPerfect, you are one step maybe two ahead of the 'GUI-based desktop publishers'.
    Ctrl+F1 provides the reveal formatting pane in Word--since Word 2003 I think, don't remember--while direct visibility of various hidden codes is set in Options choices. Useful for occasional troubleshooting, but not for general creation and editing--proper use of the Styles pane is so much clearer and faster.
    Last edited by Mike Feury; 2014-05-20 at 05:37.