New Lounger
    Thanks

How to remove user from PC

Up until a few weeks ago, I have always been listed as the only user on my pc at startup. Recently, I purchased a new external HD. For some reason, I had difficulty setting up the share priviledges between the desktop and laptop. I finally managed to get it all worked out.
    Somehow, I now have 2 accounts showing at startup. I have my usual account and a new "Admin" account. Since setting up the new drive, I have noticed I have been having difficulty with certain funtions requiring administrator rights.
    I don't even know how I set up the 2nd, new Admin account in the first place. Most importantly, how do I remove the unwanted Admin account, and return full ownership and administator rights back to my original account?
    Thanks
    Dave

Thanks
    Go to the control panel, user accounts, remove user accounts....select the account you want to remove and delete it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Before deleting any accounts make sure your main user account is setup as an administrator, or that you know the password to the built-in admin account.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMac56 View Post
    Before deleting any accounts make sure your main user account is setup as an administrator, or that you know the password to the built-in admin account.

Yes...excellent point BigMac56....thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to remove the extra user as instructed. When I open User Accounts, my account is the only one that appears, as Administrator
    When I click on Manage another Account, it shows 3 accounts: 1. Mine with Administrator rights 2. Administrator with adminsitrator rights and 3. Guest account is off.
    I am trying to leave my account alone, and remove the Administrator account.
    When I click to manage the account, I cannot remove it. I am only given 4 options:
    1. Change account name
    2. Create password
    3. Change Picture
    4. Set up Parental controls
    How do I remove the extra Administrator account?
    Thanks
    Dave

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, d.riseberg

BigMac56 mentioned the built-in Administrator account. Perhaps you have it turned on(?).
    If you turned on the built-in Administrator account then you only need to "disable" it
    to make it disappear again.

You might try this Microsoft "Fix It": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281140

If that doesn't work there are more methods shown here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...rator-account/

Hope that helps.
    RockE
    Last edited by RockE; 2014-04-20 at 22:34.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2014-04-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RockE
    Using the Microsoft "Fix It" method did the trick. Now when I reboot, it only shows my account to boot in to, then goes straight to my desktop. Just the way it used to be.
    Now if I only knew what I did to enable it in the first place. I'd make sure I don't do it again.
    Thanks

Lounger
    Thanks
    That's great, Dave!
    Glad you solved your problem.

RockE