2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing passwords in Eudora 7.1

I've been using Eudora since forever, but because of Heartbleed I changed some login passwords in Hotmail, Gmail etc. It has been so long since I set up Eudora I cannot remember how to change these passwords. Looked in the Account Properties, ain't there. Can someone give me a clue?

David

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    This Eudora page seem to have the answer.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul, but it seems to me that that page shows how to setup Eudora from scratch. My 'Dominant' account hasn't changed, so I'm getting e-mails that come to the address set as Dominant. However, I have four other accounts. One password I have not changed, I get those e-mails. The other three have been changed, but I can't see any place to enter the new password. I suppose one solution is to delete the accounts and then add them again, just thought that there must be a better way.

David

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried right clicking on the account?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There are at least 3 methods for forcing a change of password. One is to change some properties of the account, such as the server name, and then try to fetch mail from the account. It should ask for a password. Cancel and than change the properties to the correct values and fetch mail again. At least I seem to remember that is how I did it last time.

Another method is to edit the eudora.ini file, and delete the lines starting with SavePasswordText= for the accounts that you have changed. It should then ask for a password next time you access the account.

But the simplest method is probably to use the Special, Forget Password(s) menu item provided just for this purpose.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Arne, I must admit it such a long time since I last had this problem that I had forgotten all about the Special > Forget Passwords option. Unfortunately even though I got the "Enter Password" input box, and then entered the new passwords, I still ended up with an error for Hotmail and G-mail. I then tried deleting and re-creating the accounts using the new passwords, and that didn't work either. It's not a big deal, but I am puzzled because only the passwords have been changed.

David

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, David.
    In earlier versions of Eudora, there was a facility in the Tools or Special menu to allow you to change a password. That seems to have been replaced by the "Forget Password" in the Special menu.
    What you seem to be saying is that you have already changed the passwords needed on Hotmail, Gmail, etc. (presumably using their respective web-based access pages), and now you just want Eudora to use these passwords when you access mail from there. The thing to do is select the "Forget Password" option in the Special menu, then, when you next check mail in Eudora, you will be asked to supply a password - enter your new password, and you should have no further problem.
    As far as I know, this use of "Forget passwords" should apply to each one of your Personalities, so the next time you check mail for these you should be asked for your new password.
    Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No one asked what OS you are using. In all previous versions of Windows, you could grab the Eudora system files and data files and move/install them almost anywhere it it worked. If you just moved the files to Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1, it will never ask for your password no matter what you do. It is best to set up an empty directory for your data and then do a clean new install of Eudora 7.1 specifying the new empty data directory. Then you can copy your old mailbox files to the new directory. It will then ask for a password for every account you set up.
    I spent a lot of time changing the .ini file and other methods I found online before I gave up and just reinstalled the program.