Lounger
    Thanks

Opinions please: Auslogics BoostSpeed

I have the free version of this and let it do its thing after I review every one of the changes it wants to make. And every time, I get intrusive ads and popups telling me I need to upgrade to the full version because a million and 6 problems still remain.

So: has anyone used the full version? Is it worth the money?

TIA

Thanks
    Not worth paying for IMO.
    I have no confidence in these applications that say they'll fix & speed up your computer.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Snake oil in my opinion too.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    All that type of program does is remove all Windows temporary files, temporary IE files,redundant registry files,and empties the recycle bin, and some will defragment the hdd. The so-called speed up can be measured in milli-seconds. Windows built in disk cleaner and defragger do just as good a job, as does the free CCleaner. Cleaning up is only useful if you are constantly writing and deleting files on a regular basis, otherwise once every couple of weeks is all you need. As for defragging, maybe a couple of times a year just to keep the hdd tidy.
    Most of the "free" programs will always tell you that you still have problems, in the hope that you will buy the so-called "Pro" version. I have tested just about all of those programs and found them not worth the money.
    Last edited by Fooman; 2014-04-30 at 22:21. Reason: Added a bit more info.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Fooman 100%.
    One of the most annoying sites for anyone who needs to update their driver software would have to be UniBlue. They try to kid you that you need to update the drivers then want you to buy their lousy software.
    It's malware in every respect..IMHO !
    The worst aspect now, is even motherboard manufacturers are off loading their driver updates to UniBlue & then want you to buy it before allowing any downloads. We need to tell the MOBO manufacturers what we think of that move....
    If they are getting a kickback, for my money, I'd give THEM a kickback where it has the best affect ! I won't buy their MOBO's. If motherboards have bugs or need new BIOS, the manufacturers should be providing it, not UniBlue!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman View Post
    One of the most annoying sites for anyone who needs to update their driver software would have to be UniBlue. They try to kid you that you need to update the drivers then want you to buy their lousy software.
    It's malware in every respect..IMHO !
    I think Uniblue has teetered on the edge of illegality for a decade. If they weren't based in Malta I don't think they would get away with it.

10 Uniblue Complaints and reviews from real people ...

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can definately speed up your PC with Auslogics BoostSpeed ! REMOVE IT
    It will then stop pestering you.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, I install it when I need it and do a Comodo Programs Manager complete uninstall when I'm done. But given what people have said, I think it's time to deep 6 it and switch to a more reputable program, like CCleaner.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree, CCleaner is very good at what it does.
    I use Spybot, Malwarebytes and Superantispyware amd CCleaner to clean. They do not startup at boot time.
    I use AVG to monitor.
    Keep the Qute Junkware to a minimum.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Auslogics BoostSpeed is one of many programs that promise to clean up and tune up your computer. It's not that these programs are bad it's just that they are completely unnecessary. Optimising your PC or Laptop performance is fairly simple:

1. Install a good anti-virus program such as Norton 360, AVAST, Avira, AVG or Panda Cloud. Except for Norton, they all all have a very effective Free Version. After installing, run a "Full System Scan" or "Boottime Scan".

2. Install free MalwareBytes as a secondary "malware" scanner to be a backup for your main anti-virus. After installing, run a full scan.

3. Install and run CCleaner. After that, run the Registry cleaner feature (from the left-side menu). Be sure to say Yes to the option to save a copy of the Registry. Repeat the Cleaner weekly. Repeat the Registry cleaner after installing/uninstalling software or games, etc.

4. Defragment the hard drive. Type "defrag" in Windows Search to access the defragmenter app. Repeat after 3 to 6 months. (Do NOT defrag an SSD.)

The next three options offer further improvements:

5. Use Windows Backup to create a "System Image" backup on a secondary hard drive. Or use free Paragon or EaseUS ToDo backup software the same way.

6. Ensure that you have installed at least 4GB of RAM memory for Windows 7 or 8 or Vista. Install more if you multi-task a lot.

7. Consider installing an SSD to use for Windows and your programs. It's waaaay faster than your regular hard drive.
    Last edited by starvinmarvin; 2014-05-01 at 20:44.