New Lounger
    Thanks

DVD player doesn't recognize disks

Hello everyone. Glad to be here. I have a problem that I hope you might help me with.

I own an Asus laptop with Windows 7 Home Edition installed (came with the computer). Lately I noticed that my CD/DVD player doesn't read any of the disks I put in it. These include burned disks I made or even bootable DVDs I purchased. Whenever I place a disk in the player, the disk will start to turn and Windows Explorer will show the green process bar that means it's reading the content. But nothing happens. The disk stops turning, starts again, same thing. Finally, Windows says that disk is empty and if I would to burn data on it. I've tried quite a few disks, disks I tried using on other computers so I know they aren't faulty.

Windows Explorer shows CD/DVD player installed and when I dig into the menus (Properties,...), everything seems to be working fine. I googled on how to solve this problem and some people suggested that uninstalling the hardware driver and restarting the computer might work as Windows will automatically install the right drivers for the hardware it detects. I've done that, nothing changed.

I'm running out of ideas. Is the DVD player busted and I need to buy a new one or is there another problem that I can solve myself?

I hope you guys can help me.

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

There is a possibility that the laser lens may be dusty. Have you tried a cleaning disc in the player (has a little brush on the surface to clean the lens)?

Also, it wouldn't hurt to run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt, to make sure that all the system files are in good order.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you've worked your way through the steps in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 and cleaning doesn't fix it, then it's likely you will need a new optical drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, the cleaning disk got the player started but when the disk asked me to push on to track 9, the DVD player just made a lot of noise and failed to play that last track. While I was able to install the software I was going for when this started, I think there might be permanent damage. I will probably replace the player anyway.

While it was an obvious thing to do to use the cleaner disk, I want to thank you guys for reminding me about it. Kudos.