Thanks

Shortcut formats

Many shortcuts, when created during a program install, show no info on the Properties page. If there is some issue with the shortcut, all one can do is track down the program -- not always that simple -- and create one of the "old" shortcuts.

Am I missing something here?

Is there some feasibly cogent reason for the change from the "old" way that many if not most programs still use?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    What is the benefit to you to create an "old" shortcut?
    Why would there be some issue with the shortcut?

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, the issue is that at times they just do not work, and I don't know how to make a "new" one. Why would there be some issue? Most probably because the path built into the shortcut isn't the one I used to install the software would be my best guess.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    If the shortcuts were created when the program was installed and they worked but now they don't then I suspect you have done something.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm, I seem to remember Microsoft using some strange shortcuts for it's Office package. They were as Chuck says, no info displayed.

The only way to get them back was to do a repair install of the relevant package.

Thanks
    Joe, that may or may not be, but, in either case, is there no alternative besides uninstalling and reinstalling to locate the program?

Additionally, I don't see the purpose of the 'new' structure...but then, what do I know...

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you install the programs in the default location they should be relatively easy to find. Just right click on the desktop and select new | shortcut. Than navigate to where the exe file is located. Once the shortcut is created you can move or copy it wherever you'd like.

If you've broken a shortcut some way how would you expect Windows to know where the program is? Contrary to some popular beliefs this is not magic.

What "new" structure? The "special" shortcuts have been around for a long time. BTW, for Office 2013 installed on Windows 7 & Windows 8/8.1 the shortcuts on the start menu/start screen are just regular shortcuts. Right click one and select "open file location".

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, you are right for the most part. The two issues are that what if one doesn't always want the default location? I have worked in many corporate environments that create their own "trees." And secondly, for the most part you are of course correct that from the default location the program should be 'easy' to find -- unless MS uses one name for the shortcut, and another for the program. I went looking for Sharepoint, and found it at Groove.exe.

But all that being said, I have managed to work around any issues over time. I still wonder though, why the new structure in the first place? There seems to be no additional power or flexibility added to the shortcuts, or is there?

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Joe, you are right for the most part. The two issues are that what if one doesn't always want the default location? I have worked in many corporate environments that create their own "trees." And secondly, for the most part you are of course correct that from the default location the program should be 'easy' to find -- unless MS uses one name for the shortcut, and another for the program. I went looking for Sharepoint, and found it at Groove.exe.

But all that being said, I have managed to work around any issues over time. I still wonder though, why the new structure in the first place? There seems to be no additional power or flexibility added to the shortcuts, or is there?

Chuck
    In most corporate environments that supply their own "trees" the systems are supplied in images which contain everything including all the shortcuts. Everything is pre-built. In many cases the normal end user can't make changes to the deployed system.

If you install something and don't want it in the default location the installer should account for the custom installation. If it doesn't then I would contact the program vendor. That is their issue. One reason the "special" shortcuts should work is that everything is in the registry not in the shortcut file. The shortcut can be deployed as is as long as the registry is OK.

As far as the naming of exe files and shortcuts go, that is a marketing decision. I could have a famous program know as Blue to the world but the exe file could be named round.exe. How do you know that Word is winword.exe instead of word.exe? Or that the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool is mrt.exe? Or that Remote Desktop Connection is mstsc.exe?

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, as far as the working within the corporate environment, if one is brought in to work through an already in place system, answers to those questions may not in fact be readily available -- hence the purpose for bring the outside person in.

As for the names, I could not agree more. My point exactly. So, if I install a program that relies on the "new" shortcuts, and they do not work, then the only option is to re-install -- and often only to the default folders, which then could conflict with the intentions of management for tree structure etc.

And again I wonder, what was or is supposed to be gained by the new shortcut model?

Chuck