New Lounger

Recovery Media Creator failure

I started to create a recovery USB drive following the instructions for using Recovery Media Center in the latest Windows Secrets newsletter.

The program told me I needed a 32GB USB drive which was bigger than the drive I had. I switched the program to use DVDs. It then opened the DVD drive with the message that Disk 1 of 5 was successfully created. There was no disk in the DVD drive. I was then prompted to remove the disk and insert a second blank disk. Which I did. Now I have 4 disks labeled 2 of 5, 3 of 5, etc.

Do I have a valid recovery set? How do I find out? If I don't a good recovery set, how do I create a new one?

Mike M.

California & Arizona
    It looks to me like you've created a recovery partition from what was on your hard drive, maybe
    the hidden factory restore partition?

Get a USB stick or an external drive that can accommodate the space requirements.
    I'd be hard pressed to rely on multiple DVDs for this sort of thing.

The best way to determine whether you have a valid recovery partition on DVD is to boot with it and see.
    But considering there was no DVD in the drive for the first disk I don't have a whole lot of confidence in it.

What you want first and foremost is the simple Windows recovery environment disk, which takes up little space and
    can be created in just a minute or two.
    Then after that you can think about how best to backup the factory partition and the Windows installation as well.

I highly recommend an image based backup to an external drive or separate internal drive.
    I would not want to be reliant on a DVD based backup solely for this, especially one that requires multiple DVDs.
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.