Thread: Copy freeze

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Copy freeze

Hi guys, I'm running a Compaq Presario with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I have a bunch of older CD and DVD disks that I have burned files onto. Apparently some of the files have become corrupted over the eons and won't copy onto my computer HD. That's not too troubling as I don't remember what many of them are anyway LOL. The problem is that when I try to copy them from the disc to computer, the green progress bar will stop at some random point and then just sits there forever. If I click the "Cancel" button or the red X, the little box then says "Cancelling" and sits there forever. The only way I can get rid of it is to reboot.

I'd like to be able to actually 'cancel' the copy process without having to reboot the computer, any suggestions?
    Last edited by shadow35; 2014-04-15 at 07:21.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    One way would be to install and use Teracopy as the default and then if a freeze up happens you can end the Teracopy process with the task manager. I don't know what the windows copy process is or you might just be able to end that in task manager.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

shadow35 (2014-04-15)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, I thought about the task manager, but when it happens, I can't find anything related to copying going on in the task manager. I'll look into Teracopy, thanks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Teracopy works great, and I can get more files off the disks than with the regular windows version of copy. When the copying DOES hang up, I can cancel it without having to reboot. Many thanks for the info F.U.N.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    YW, TC will hang sometimes in certain situations but in general it is much more robust than XP through Win 7 native copy.