Star Lounger
    Thanks

"Gene Splicing" with XP Patches

Just before all the Windows Updates were turned off, I managed to patch completely an XP Pro machine. Because Windows Update tends to move like an ox cart, I did not have time to finish a second XP Pro box. I also have two XP Home machines, and none of those was fully patched, either.

Question-- does anyone know where to find information on extracting / copying all the patches from the single, fully-patched and imaged XP Pro over to the other three machines, so that at least they start at the same patch point?

Yes, it has occurred to me this is difficult, if not impossible, on a patch-by-patch basis. And I am prepared to live with the fact I have both SP2 and SP3 on CD, so at least that much will be done on the remaining three machines.

NOTE-- Since these are old Windows volumes, I had begun to reinstall everything, rather than diagnose and repair. All Windows licenses belong on their respective machines.
    Last edited by alphaa10; 2014-04-15 at 05:13. Reason: Screen readability

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Windows Updates for XP have not been turned off:

Will existing updates still be available via Windows Update after April 8, 2014?
    Yes, all existing Windows XP updates and fixes will still be available via Windows Update and WSUS.

Windows XP End of Support (FAQ 8 of 10)

Bruce

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

alphaa10 (2014-04-16)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can get a one-piece post-SP3 update pack here. You could then slipstream them (with SP3 if you don't already have it on your disk) using Nlite.

Another thing that might interest you is this.
    Last edited by tonyl; 2014-04-15 at 10:20.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

alphaa10 (2014-04-16)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    TO BruceR--
    Many thanks! I called MS tech support on this issue, claiming my last Windows Update session was April 8, but the session never completed properly, and continually prompted me to install more updates. Technically, I explained, the session never ended, and all I wanted was to end the loop, and be done with it. With that minimally demanding request, I was confident of some response-- only to be told there was nothing that could be done (and to step back while the door was slammed in my face).

The MS tech might have helped me break the loop, or failing that, he might have told me I had plenty of time to resolve the problem, since existing updates will still be available. But that seemed to ask entirely too much, and I requested to speak with his supervisor, who confirmed the CSR had addressed the issue satisfactorily (for whom?). Throughout, I was as reasonable and polite as anyone might be, so that incident has been filed under "Idiocy". On other occasions with MS tech CSRs, I have been delighted with the response, and have commended the person to his supervisor.

Thanks very much for the link to XP End of Support (FAQ 8)

Since my original post, I have stumbled upon nLite and a wonderful utility called UDC-- http://xdot.tk/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    TO TonyL--
    Many Thanks! Your one-piece post-SP3 update pack is exactly what I need. And due to the fact I had stumbled upon my old friend nLite earlier, as I wandered Google in search of a solution, I believe I am on the right road.

Thanks for your last reference to Spotmau-- I had dealt with them in the past, but the product did not work out / boot properly on my system, so they graciously refunded my purchase price. Could not have expected more.

Here is something which may interest you-- a free product called UDC, provided by a website that also details all the Update Lists, and recommends use of nLite for slipstreaming a complete installation of XP. http://xdot.tk/

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaa10 View Post
    TO TonyL--
    Many Thanks! Your one-piece post-SP3 update pack is exactly what I need. And due to the fact I had stumbled upon my old friend nLite earlier, as I wandered Google in search of a solution, I believe I am on the right road.

Thanks for your last reference to Spotmau-- I had dealt with them in the past, but the product did not work out / boot properly on my system, so they graciously refunded my purchase price. Could not have expected more.

Here is something which may interest you-- a free product called UDC, provided by a website that also details all the Update Lists, and recommends use of nLite for slipstreaming a complete installation of XP. http://xdot.tk/
    YW! Actually, I thought there was a link to UDC on the Nlite site, but it seems to have gone - that's why I didn't mention it. UDC is updated every month or so (though that may no longer be the case). Make sure you have the latest.