New Lounger
    Thanks

5.25" Floppy Drive - What do I need? What do they work on?

OK, I have spent a few hours now trying to find information on the old 5 1/4" floppy disks. My ultimate goal is just to copy some word processing files from my old 5 1/4" floppy disks to a more modern platform.

I have searched numerous places looking for information - I can find multiple internal old floppy disk drives around, a few external drives too.
    I have read that there is no such thing as a 5 1/4" floppy (internal or external) that works via USB. Nor have I found any such offering.

What I have not found was any information as to what operating systems these might work on. Only DOS? Early windows?
    Mostly disclaimers - buy the disk drive and take your chances.

What I do have is an older computer with windows 98 on it. I bought it used many years ago. A internal cd player was added to it. An internal Colorado tape back up was added to it and it has an internal 3.5" floppy. I have not taken the computer apart to look at the insides as yet.

So, any advice - information - leads - suggestions?

I have found only one place offering the service of transferring the data - the cost was $4.95 per disk. This is just cost prohibitive for me.
    I have about 100 disks.

The disks are not really worth anything - I would just like to get the data off them.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    eBay or Craig's list might be your best bet in finding an actual 5 1/4" floppy drive.
    Your Windows 98 machine should have the floppy connection on the motherboard.

Rescuing 5.25″ Floppy Disks from Oblivion
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-04-28 at 11:56.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.