Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried 8.1.1? If so, how do you like it?

In particular, if you had problems with 8.1, has 8.1.1 fixed them?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Prescott. How are you ?
    This might be tantamount to rebellion but as of 2 hours ago, I am back on W-8 sans .1 nor .1.1. This is of course not the fault of MS and its flagship. No, the block is here in my old Acer M1610. It is not up to par as far as W8.1.1 is concerned even if it runs the plain vanilla W-8 quite nicely. I tried for the last ten days to upgrade to 1.1 but it was no joy here. I did upgrade and it seemed to install properly but this machine is not so capable. It is a question of the hen or the egg, nowadays, the coder will work on quadruple-cored CPUs and this gives them the ability to really "soup-up" their programmes, I suffer from using a lowly two-cored CPU and not a fast one at that.
    I had a clone of my last used copy of W-8 and got it back on the HD here, now all is in oil, thank-you. My story ! Be good. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,010 Posts
    I see no problems with 8.1.1. It seems more stable than 8.1, wakes more times from sleep without issues, something that didn't occur with 8.1. This is due to drivers, of course.

All the rest seems alright. I like some of the UI changes, they are actually useful.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Prescott,

Once I managed to get Update 1 installed (required a system refresh of 8.1 on my setup) I haven't had a single problem as I slowly reinstall all of my programs. It also seems to be a bit faster. I'm running Office 2010 Pro 32bit along with all of the Lounge favorite utilities both free and paid w/o problems. I'm also running StartIsBack since this old codger isn't down with the Modern UI or touch on a desktop even though I have a Logitech T650 touch pad. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    No problems here with the 8.1.1 update.
    If Windows 8 were presented this way in the first place there would be far fewer complaints.

I had previously had issues with the 8.1 update, but a clean install took care of them
    prior to even updating to 8.1.1.

Sometimes a clean install is still needed despite the best of upgrades/updates.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    I had no issues applying the Windows 8.1 update. Like Rui above, I see fewer issues waking from sleep than I did on 8.0 and 8.1.

As noted elsewhere in the lounge, be aware that to continue to receive Windows Updates, you have to apply this update to 8.1 or go back to 8.0.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    8.1 Update works fine. I had one problem that was caused by a security program I use (Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit) causing an issue with running Internet Explorer under the new update but the vendor has provided an update that fixes the problem. Otherwise it is totally stable.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am a huge xp lover an still angry with microsoft. I recently received a hp laptop 8.1 for my BD. I am not a tech but am a curious person and love computers.Anyway I did not find this 8.1 hard to learn at all, but from an average non tech home computer user I like xp better.And believe me first thing I did(after getting a wireless mouse) was to explore this new laptop.After the last update(which downloaded ok) had issues with a usb port.Not sure it is resolved yet or not. Is there more than 1 update for 8.1 people are talking about?
    <sorry> just realized you are all talking about buying 8.1.1 update.
    Last edited by mosie; 2014-04-15 at 21:25. Reason: re-read conversations
    In mourning for my Win XP Desktop while using a HP laptop Win8.1
    Some times I am confused an some times not.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mosie View Post
    I ... just realized you are all talking about buying 8.1.1 update.
    You don't have to buy 8.1.1, it's a free upgrade. Also if you have not set the upgrade policy for your new laptop, then sometime during the next month Microsoft will push 8.1.1 down to your laptop.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

mosie (2014-04-16)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I must have it then as while looking around other day on this machine found where it said get update and I let it download as it wanted. And when i found my way back to where it listed updates it said no critical updates. I had just got this machine right as update was released so it all new to me. But did notice for $99 could get better version it said.omg since B.G left microsoft has went downhill. :-(
    In mourning for my Win XP Desktop while using a HP laptop Win8.1
    Some times I am confused an some times not.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    In particular, if you had problems with 8.1, has 8.1.1 fixed them?
    Well, not exactly "tried it", I use it. No problems installing or since. For me, the only, superficial, thing it adds that I like & use is Store APPs showing on the Task Bar.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

New Lounger
    Thanks

My 2 penn'orth

The only changes I found (so far) after the 8.1 update 1 are:
    1. 7+ taskbar tweaker broke. Hopeful for an update. At the time of writing an early alpha update has been posted for 32bit. I will wait to see whether the 64bit or the beta comes next.
    2. The Windows Store icon appeared on the taskbar. It didn't last long though!
    3. One issue appears to have gone away. I had noticed that removing or installing AC power would cause the USB 3.0 ports to disconnext and reconnect. Very annoying as running software would break.
    The manufacturers were as useless as I expected, being of the opinion that that was normal behaviour!
    For reference the model is a Fujitsu Lifebook A544.
    I am running Classic Shell (and no longer (yet) Taskbar Tweaker) and boot direct to the desktop avoiding the dire Metro style interface (my opinion).
    All other software, Firefox, Thunderbird, FileZilla, Notepad++ etc (including MS Office XP) has continued to run with minimal or no issues.

Regards all,
    David

Lounger
    Thanks
    I now run Windows 8.1 on a 32-bit desktop and a 64-bit desktop (both home built computers dating from a couple of years ago). Both have received Windows 8.1 Update 1 without any problems (of which I'm aware at least).

RockE

Thanks
    8.1.1 installed this week with other updates. Didn't notice the difference (I use Classic Shell and rarely look at the tiled screen - or whatever it's called) until I read this thread. Windows version in 'Control Panel>System' still shows 'Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center' and the copyright date as 2013.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I like 8.1. It is working just fine on my computer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast