New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update (patches)

Yesterday I had to do a full factory recovery which brought my system (Win 7 Pro 64) back in time (Oct 2010) I am now faced with 152 Windows updates pending - I follow patch watch to the letter. Is there a productive way to know which patch is safe/needed or to be disgarded - (ie is there a master list?
    Any help is appreciated

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

iNET Interactive
    Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

Hizznherz (2014-04-15)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, this looks like it will be quite helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post

Administrator
    Thanks
    Install them all and don't worry about it especially if you haven't re-installed all your other programs yet. A fresh OS install without all your application programs is one that is least likely to have any problems with updates.

If you feel better about it install a few updates at a time making backups of the system after each successful install. That way you know you have a point to which you can easily return if a batch of updates fails. Once they are all successful then make a last system backup. Again, you have a point in time to which you can return if there is a serious problem with your other programs.

Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Hizznherz (2014-04-15)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently did a factory reset and had the same amount of updates - took ~7hrs and they were just the Windows updates.

It took about another half hour or so for the Microsoft ones and then ran Disk Cleanup as an admin just in case it gave me any that had been superseded.

There was no problem after they had completed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Hizznherz (2014-04-15)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the insight Joe, I have almost finished with the master patch chart suggested by Kathleen and it looks like there may be a couple dozen that are not on the list - at that point I'll make the system backup and install the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Install them all and don't worry about it especially if you haven't re-installed all your other programs yet. A fresh OS install without all your application programs is one that is least likely to have any problems with updates.

If you feel better about it install a few updates at a time making backups of the system after each successful install. That way you know you have a point to which you can easily return if a batch of updates fails. Once they are all successful then make a last system backup. Again, you have a point in time to which you can return if there is a serious problem with your other programs.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks and you are so right about the time factor - it seems like I've been doing this forever - it is definitely a learning curve

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I recently did a factory reset and had the same amount of updates - took ~7hrs and they were just the Windows updates.

It took about another half hour or so for the Microsoft ones and then ran Disk Cleanup as an admin just in case it gave me any that had been superseded.

There was no problem after they had completed.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That's why a factory reset is usually a last resort but I once read that it was advised to do one once a year to give it a clean out, but the amount of updates and the time they take tend to put you off.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Hizznherz (2014-04-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    That's why a factory reset is usually a last resort but I once read that it was advised to do one once a year to give it a clean out, but the amount of updates and the time they take tend to put you off.
    That was a long time ago. Back in the Win 9x,ME days there was good reason to reinstall Windows. The initial versions of the registry were terrible about getting cleaned up and significantly affected machine performance as more & more junk was accumulated. Since then, Microsoft has continued to refine how the registry is maintained and accessed.

Joe

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Hizznherz (2014-04-16)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    That was a long time ago. Back in the Win 9x,ME days there was good reason to reinstall Windows. The initial versions of the registry were terrible about getting cleaned up and significantly affected machine performance as more & more junk was accumulated. Since then, Microsoft has continued to refine how the registry is maintained and accessed.

Joe
    While it was about 3yrs or so when I read that article and don't know when it was dated, I still think that the occasional factory reset is beneficial because of the residue that is left over time through uninstalling the programs that we can do when just Windows is used to uninstall.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    While it was about 3yrs or so when I read that article and don't know when it was dated, I still think that the occasional factory reset is beneficial because of the residue that is left over time through uninstalling the programs that we can do when just Windows is used to uninstall.
    I am inclined to agree, however I hope it is a long time before it has to be done again. I have a Sony Vaio i7 running Win7 Pro (64bit) and would rather have a root canal than buy a new Win8 machine.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their input (it was all helpful).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome - and I'd have to buy a new printer if I ever upped from Win 7 HP 64bit.

Thanks
    Joe
    I've been running Windows 7 for over 4 years now with a combination of Windows uninstall and Revo uninstall and its still zippy. I feel no need to do a clean reinstall. I've seen a lot of old XP installs that I've repaired and they don't appear to need a clean reinstall either.

Unless you picked up a piece of malware that you couldn't completely eradicate and you have no prior image backup, I don't recommend the pain of a clean reinstall.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The last time I reinstalled my Windows XP Pro was about five years ago. Since then, perhaps once every year or two, I sense something isn't quite right, so I run the system file checker with the original software disc in the optical drive, and that seems to keep it running well.