2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Imaging Software

I'm looking for some free imaging software for Windows 7 with UEIF. I've looked at Macrium, EaseUS and Paragon. They all mention creating rescue disks. With Acronis True Image you can boot from the rescue Cd and run the backup from there. I can't seem to find if the the free versions I mentioned will do the same. I like the Acronis idea so nothing updates or runs in the background when you are you running the backup. I'm not impressed with Windows backup. This is for my nephew's new computer. He's learning disable and autistic and am looking for a free program that is reliable.
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Imaging software was created to work from within Windows. I have been using Acronis since 2005, from within Windows, without any problems whatsoever. Actually there are features that are available only from withing Windows, such as mounting an image as a virtual drive.

I would find it very odd to have any of these tools (even the free versions) not allowing image creation from a boot disc. This would severely impair their usefulness. I am only being cautious here (that is, not stating all allow it without restrictions), because I have only used Acronis.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd use a backup from within Windows because it's less to learn / deal with.
    All of the modern backup software takes a snapshot before commencing backup, so no changes will affect the backup. They also contain schedulers so you don't forget to do the most important bit - running the backup.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    What are you using to backup on YOUR computer?
    Acronis doesn't have a free version, only a trial version.

So pay up or do the work of creating a rescue disk.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just wanted to image the computer. I did make a rescue CD with Macrium. With the PE version you can run image from CD if you wish. I was just curious and only have had experience with Aronis.
    Joe

Thanks
    You can create images and restore them with just the Macrium PE rescue disk.

With one already made there should be no reason to install the actual program, and therefore
    no updates or running processes associated with an actual application install.

You should look into doing something similar with Acronis, seeing that that is what you are familiar with and prefer.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.