Lounger
    Thanks

USB drive hiccup

Running Windows 8. Have an external sata drive that I connect intermittently using usb (external box houses sata drive but connects to system via usb cable). Until today, it would show up as an external drive & I could transfer data with no problems.
    Today, it is flaky. When connected it shows as "Multi-Flash Reader USB Device". It is listed under "Devices with removable storage"in File Explorer. Left-click results in the request: "Please insert a disk into Removable disk".
    Right-click & "Properties" list no files, etc & 0 bytes.

The data on it is needed; however, I also have it backed up elsewhere. I could open the machine & plug the drive into a motherboard-located sata port but I prefer the present arrangement - if the system/drive will come to its senses.

How can I re-learn it?

Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I have seen several cases where the electronics in the external case have failed but the drive itself is actually fine. Solution: New external case.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If the drive itself is a Sata drive connection you could get a docking station such as an Icy Box. This allows you to swap drives easily without having to remove cases etc.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Is the drive separately powered or does it get it's power from the USB port? If separately powered, I suspect the power supply went bad. If from a USB port, try a shorter cable and a different USB port.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies.
    Unit has separate power supply & it is good - I can hear the drive spin up.
    I had tried the different usb port approach - no go.
    Now all is OK (few days later). I gave it a rest & I had powered down (cold boot) several times. When I tried again the problem had "gone away."
    Does not answer - why - but as long as it is working... and I have other bkups

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My system with 7, 8 and 8.1 regularly disables the "automount" command.
    Try RUN "diskpart" and enter "automount".
    If the reply is "automount disabled" enter "automount enable".
    A USB external hard drive should now be recognized and assigned a drive letter.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have seen error like that. Reproducible too ... due mostly to new USB boxes with recent controller chips, especially for USB3.0.
    If your USB hard drive box is USB 3.0, plugging into USB2.0 port, or to USB3.0 port, this error might occur ... or might not. This happens more frequently on connecting USB3.0 to USB2.0 port.
    BTW, USB2.0 to USB2.0 has no problem. It is just between USB3.0 and USB2.0, or USB3.0 to USB3.0 (much less likely).
    I don't know why. So far I know it has to do with 'recent' new controller chips.
    Seems 'old' is more reliable in this case for now (aka USB2.0 to USB2.0).

Another less likely possibility, because of this specific error, is the USB cable. A slightly bad, too long, slightly less quality, or bad connector(s), could scramble the signal just enough to create that specific error. As I said, less likely, but worth a try. Cable is cheap. Or borrow one. Try the easy low cost solution first.