Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    I always recommend CD Burner XP, and yes it runs fine on Windows 7 too, not sure about Win 8 though but I would be surprised if it didn't.

https://cdburnerxp.se/
    >
    It works well in Win 8 and 8.1

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks much.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Two ideas.
    1 CD Burner XP comes with Open Candy now, and although there WAS a hidden version without it, the version without it can not be found anymore. Use InfraRecorder.
    2 Commercially produced DVD's reflect laser light better than ones made at home. Older DVD players will often work with the commercial ones, but need more reflected light than what comes off a homemade one. Gold DVD's are the worst at reflecting light.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Having tried virtually everything out there, I find the most reliable, comprehensive and easiest to use freeware Burner is the free version of Ashampoo's commercial product. You will be asked for an email address to receive the free reg key - but once you have the key you can easily unsubscribe from any email advertising they subsequently send you.

At install: Make sure to uncheck all boxes for added toolbars (a pain) and change the preferences to stop it nagging you to upgrade to the full paid for version (unless you would like the extra features).

Ashampoo Burning Studio FREE 2013 11.0.6
    Click here and wait for the grey Save box:
    http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdow...=98129&t=4&i=1

Cheers, Chris
    Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall, UK, for the last 14 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components!
    Until Windows 8, I thought we were still moving forwards!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Rhino View Post
    Two ideas.
    1 CD Burner XP comes with Open Candy now, and although there WAS a hidden version without it, the version without it can not be found anymore. Use InfraRecorder.
    2 Commercially produced DVD's reflect laser light better than ones made at home. Older DVD players will often work with the commercial ones, but need more reflected light than what comes off a homemade one. Gold DVD's are the worst at reflecting light.
    Good to know. Thanks. Judy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Cooper View Post
    Having tried virtually everything out there, I find the most reliable, comprehensive and easiest to use freeware Burner is the free version of Ashampoo's commercial product. You will be asked for an email address to receive the free reg key - but once you have the key you can easily unsubscribe from any email advertising they subsequently send you.

At install: Make sure to uncheck all boxes for added toolbars (a pain) and change the preferences to stop it nagging you to upgrade to the full paid for version (unless you would like the extra features).

Ashampoo Burning Studio FREE 2013 11.0.6
    Click here and wait for the grey Save box:
    http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdow...=98129&t=4&i=1

Cheers, Chris
    I've looked at Ashampoo, but hadn't found the free one. I think that's the one I'll try. Thanks. Judy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Desktop.ini is just a normally hidden file that keeps track of info such as where Icons are on your desktop.

See http://www.howtogeek.com/96410/what-...i-keep-seeing/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMac56 View Post
    Desktop.ini is just a normally hidden file that keeps track of info such as where Icons are on your desktop.

See http://www.howtogeek.com/96410/what-...i-keep-seeing/
    Thanks for that info. I should have looked that up myself. (Embarrassed). Anyway, it wasn't hidden in that situation. Can't see why it would want to be written to every disk? Thanks again. Judy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12