Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Jean,

The Windows 8.1 Update is only available to PC's running Windows 8.1. If your PC is still running Windows 8 (that is, if you didn't install Windows 8.1 from the Store), you won't be offered KB2919355.

If you did install Windows 8.1, then you won't be offered any future security updates/patches until after you install KB2919355 (the 8.1 Update).

If you still have Windows 8 (the original), you will continue to get security updates/patches until January 2016.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you are running Windows 8 and decide to update to Windows 8.1 via the Windows Store you will get Windows 8.1 Update.

Joe

Thanks
    Jean,

8.1.1, KB 2919355, Windows 8 Spring Update... different names for the same item. I don't know about (how) "earth-shattering" but, certainly, there IS some good stuff in it both for End Users & Enterprise. Absolutely, the cosmetic, mechanical aspects will have huge appeal, especially, w/ non-Touch, mousers... also, stuff people familiar w/ Windows pre-8 will like, a lot.

The only requirement is one must have Windows 8.1 to install Windows 8.1.1.

**You should take/have both.** <--- Not options

> Store for Win 8.1
    > WU for Win 8.1.1

Oft it has been suggested one can take the info offered here in the forum as reliable.

I trust the above answered your questions.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    **You should take/have both.** <--- Not options
    Yes, options. I'm still running original Windows 8 on my desktop. Had an issue with one of my preferred programs, chose the program over the update and restored my pre-update image. I will continue to receive support until January 2016.

At any point in time, I can restore my image of 8.1, and see if I can get my preferred program to run. Something in the intervening updates may have taken care of the incompatibility issues; but there's no immediate rush.

Bottom line is, if you're still running the original Windows 8, like it, want to keep it, you'll still get full support until January 2016. Take your time. Windows 9 (or whatever they call it) will probably be out before the end of support for Windows 8.

As many of us have said, there is NO compelling reason to update from the original Windows 8, just as there was no compelling reason to update from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

It is all a matter of personal choice.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BB, good day. I am still plagued by semantics in this world and my question was Woody's statement that it would benefit W-8, sans any .1. He might have meant something else ???
    We are in the same boat and paddling in unison. I think that you misconstrued Drew's lines as to the "choice", he meant that if you go to .1 you have to go .1 Update too or vice-versa. Said nothing about staying in W-8 as we both do.

I do have a clone of w-8.1, I had removed it as it would not see my Office 2K even if the basic W-8 did honour it. Strange ! I was given recently an Office 2010, I might get the latest W-8.1 back installed and see where I can get using it. Stand-by for further development. Be good, Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2014-04-28 at 08:57.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, a good day to you. Quote :If you are running Windows 8 and decide to update to Windows 8.1 via the Windows Store you will get Windows 8.1 Update.

I did at one time have 8.1 running here but if you have read my reply to BB, you will know where I now stand in this regard. I am still not refusing totally the .1, nor the .1 Update. More to come if I am left with enough free time at this time of the year. Thanks for following this. Jean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Allo, Drew. >>> "Oft it has been suggested one can take the info offered here in the forum as reliable."
    The information here has been my source all the time. It has enabled me to help others as you do, it might be your income, it is my pleasure.
    I still have problems with Woody's line that it would benefit W-8 though and that prompted my question. I am not yet back to W-8.1 and even more so to Update. This time of the year keeps me so busy that this fine PC is pushed back to secondary interest. I will keep you up on development. Have a great day, Jean.

Thanks
    I will beg to differ. Sure one always has choice, as well, there ARE compelling reasons for the Updates. There can be compelling reasons for something & someone can, still, object or refuse. It's 2 quite separate & different things. Something can be smart, good, helpful, just funky & nice, useful, an improvement and someone , still, has every right & freedom to say "No". So, sure, make something 'a decision' instead of what you ought to do or is supposed to do or even what one might like to do ( depending how accepting). There are things many people discovered, after taking the Updates, that they found appealing.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-04-28 at 09:39.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    I will beg to differ.
    Begging won't change the simple fact that, for Personal Computers (I'm not speaking in terms of an enterprise environment), as always and forevermore,
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    It is all a matter of personal choice.
    With my machines I have the choice of running Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 Update. Everything that I have done in the past and will be doing in the foreseeable future I can accomplish with Windows XP.

For security reasons, the XP window is closing (there are still a couple of programs that won't run anywhere else; I just don't need to be online for them to run), but I have Windows 7 dual booting on three machines. Windows 7 also fulfills all my needs now, and in the foreseeable future. There is no compelling reason to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

Yes, everything that I want and need that runs on Windows 7 will run on Windows 8, 8.1, and 8.1 Update. But they still run on Windows 7, and I cannot discern a noticeable difference in performance between the platforms, other than Windows 8 boots faster. But, I don't shut my machine down, so boot times are totally irrelevant.

It remains a matter of personal choice. We are each free to exercise that choice.

Unleash Windows

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123