Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafner View Post
    My desktop computer shipped with Vista when Vista was just released, so it's an old box, but I have consecutively upgraded to Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and now 8.1.1, all without a hitch. Each upgrade has been an improvement. I think Windows 8.1 is a terrific OS with powerful features that set it above Windows 7 -- File Explorer and File History, just to name two of many. And contrary to what a lot of people say, it does have a start menu; it's just in a different format (tiles), but everything is there. I don't know what all the complaining has been about.Fafner
    Ditto here

Rich

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    Ditto here

Rich
    And ditto here, too.

'I don't know what all the complaining has been about"

OMG, how often I wonder the same. Not only regarding this Update but, also, 8.0 & 8.1

Not only has there been no issues but...

I find the OS good, impressive, fun, enjoyable, capable & easy. I, really, could not imagine I was the only one

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Lounger
    Thanks
    Although I upgraded two Vista era machines (they are now running 8.1 with all updates) there was one which didn't measure up (CPU-wise).
    So certainly not everyone is able to upgrade their Vista era hardware to the latest Microsoft OS.

RockE

Thanks
    I have "automatically downloaded and updated" all versions of windows (XP through Windows 8.1.1) over the last "many" years without a single hitch (I do, nevertheless, make a full system/data backup once a week; just in case!!)

(I hope this post doesn't turn out to be a "poster's curse"!!)
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Thanks
    I can recall only two times that I have had problems with Windows updates:
    * When I upgraded to IE 11 (or 10?) -- the browsing experience got bumpy after that, so I uninstalled the update, and it reverted back to my previous version of IE. Problem solved.
    * When I upgraded Windows from 8.0 to 8.1 -- things went from smooth sailing (8.0) to a bit bumpy (8.1) after that, and there were some issues, so I restored the backup I made right before doing the upgrade. Problem solved.

I can recall one other problem in my computing experience -- a company I worked at used an old, legacy accounting program. One morning many users reported that their accounting program no longer worked. I uninstalled the three Windows updates that had autoinstalled the night before, and the problem disappeared. (I didn't try to identify the specific update of the three.)

In short, I have my computer set for auto updates. I have for a very long time. This is what I have found to be the best solution for me.

Thanks
    If you are a subscriber, the latest edition of the Windows Secrets Newsletter also offers some advice for a "trouble-free" installation. See "When the Win8.1 Update installation goes awry" in Issue 430 of 2014-04-24
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Thanks
    Yes, I have been meaning to mention. IF you hit a snag, there is a fine Trouble-shooter link Microsoft provides & I understand it is quite overt. It runs off & finds & fixes the issue and follows though & completes the install for you as part of the or its process. Works very nicely.

Just thought I'd mention it...

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Got a link for the trouble-shooter please, Drew?

Thanks
    Look down the article & Clk on Windows Update Troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2939087

These should help you.

Also, > Start & type Troubleshooting
    Troubleshooting & Troubleshooting History will come up.
    Clk on Troubleshooting
    Then, under System and Security CLK on Fix Problems with Windows Update

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-04-26 at 12:21.

Lounger
    Thanks
    My experience is the same. I committed to Microsoft updates "immediately or within a few days" as well. Sometimes, randomly, I read the docs first.
    If you do internet, you need "to trust", whether it's Microsoft, Apple, or Linux distributions.
    I went to 8.1 after a couple months, and accepted the Update when "suggested". Took a little more than 2 hours, but it was trouble-free.
    My viewpoint on the Win 8 "issue" is apparently uncommon. I have a few good years of personal computing left in me, and economics is an issue - time first, then money. So for me, incremental upgrades are the easiest economically. First of all, I choose 32-bit Vista, and not 64-bit. So for me, moving into 64-bit is the issue, more than upgrading apps that run on Windows.

Thanks
    Much more should be devoted to putting forth the message that, soon, x86 will be a thing of the past; And anything associated with that or precipitated by it.

Cheers,
    Drew

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

dried_squid (2014-04-26)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I really hate doing it, but I also end up setting my computers to "Install updates automatically (recommended.)", and for the same reason that you do, analyzing updates is a full time job for those who do it for Enterprise networks, and I just don't have the time.

But you say "Microsoft downloads a lot of crap that they apparently don't test, and it will break your computer"

True, but if you increase the size of storage that you have for Restore Points, so that you always have them going back for a reasonable amount of time, you can go back to before the last patches were installed, and then you can change to ""Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them", until you figure out which one broke your computer.
    Last edited by Prescott; 2014-04-26 at 15:13. Reason: Close quote

Thanks
    You know, most people have WU on Auto since, I'm pretty sure that is the default. I'm, also, pretty sure an Update breaking a computer is a rarity. In the years I've been in IT, never seen it; have only heard of it in forums.

No more point here than to say most have WU on Auto & w/out any resultant problems.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good evening, Drew. How are tricks ?

I just read some of the Secrets information and I quote:

" I reviewed Windows 8.1 Update in the April 3 Top Story. It doesn't provide any earth-shattering enhancements to Windows 8 or 8.1 ". Says Woody !

Windows 8 ??? Or is Woody back to smoking some funny stuff ? Is that WU KB 2919355 also for my version of W-8 ? Should I try to install this too ?

Have a great evening. Jean.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast